Gnome menu changed [solved - ish]

Leo

I installed 2005LE and everything seemed fine (with the exception of my graphics tablet but that is another issue...) however my menu has changed from one that works to what looks like a standard menu where most of the appas it lists do not exist and half the apps I have installed are not listed. This happened after I ran the update tool following installation.

When I go into menudrake (both system and root menus) it looks the way I want it (all the correct groupings, all the correct apps) but when I save it it makes no difference to the menu being used.

I am using Gnome 2.8 (as comes with 2005LE) I tried restarting Gnome but it made no difference (it looks as though this setting has been saved and will not be replaced).

I need to know firstly how to effect changes to the Gnome menu (I am guessing this will be without using menudrake (yet another gui that doesn't work right).

I would also like to know why this has happened and how to avoid it in the future

Leo

Edited by Leo

Tahnks for this. Am I right to assume that the aim is to remove the local version of the menu and replace it on restart with the root version?

Wouldn't this also remove a whole load of data that doesn't relate to the menu? Is there any way to identify only files relating to the menu?

Leo

do you have these pkgs?

localhost:/# rpm -qa | grep menu

menu-xdg-0.6-19mdk

mandrakelinux-create-kde-mdk-menu-1.0-4mdk

mdk-menu-messages-10.2-2mdk

menudrake-0.7.6-4mdk

menu-2.1.12-13mdk

localhost:/#

run;

update-menus

So, you don't have the mandrake menus?

I didn't do a fresh install of 2k5LE and upgraded via urpmi so I can't really say I know for sure what they are supposed to look like on a default install.

Gnome menus are controled by menudrake as well but I rarely even use menus much less menudrake. There used to be a setting in menudrake to enable everything for all users (or something like that)....just something to look into.

take a look at this for what to remove

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25276&hl=

Thank you both for your help (nice to see you back bvc).

update-menus had no visible effect (my guess is that something had been overwriten at some point that stoipped thsi working as I wanted).

I had a look at the list of files to remove but agani this had no effect (I reckon this is probably the same reason as why update-menus didn't have the desired effect).

I did have another play with menudrake and changed the style of the menu then saved and logged off/on

the menu had changed to something usable but I still cannot get the menu I want (despite it being the one shown in menudrake).

I have marked this as solved (because it is working if not as I would like it) but if either of you know where menudrake picks up the menu it shows from it would be useful as it may help get this fixed properly.

Thanks

Leo