usb flash drive [solved]

shaner

Ok - I didn't said it before - please edit Your post - first

plug in the flash drive and after that (5-10 secs at least) please issue

these lsmod and lsusb -v - cause I want to see the device listed by lsusb and

eventually does it loading the usb-storage module or not ...

Sorry for inconvinience ....

and don't worry I'm fighting with my mp3 player from 2 weeks ...till now he wins :-)

Edited by MrMad

It was plugged in for that amount of time, becuase it took me that long to get the command line open and running, and get all the commands correctly typed in. Especially after I played around with the tail -f command a few minutes trying to get it right. When I plug it in the little light goes on for a minute and then shuts off on the drive. When it is plugged into XP, the little light stays on all the time, meaning it is running. When I save something to it, it blinks meaning it is writing. For some reason it is shutting off in Linux, meaning it is not even active or recognized, or something.

No inconvenience on my part, I appreciate the help. Probably more inconvenience on your part for working with such a novice. :D

Shane

It's sad to say but I'm afraid that this problem is going

out of my knowledge - fur sure it's a driver problem.

Then IMHO you should post this problem on the

linux-usb-users mailing list -> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=5395.

These guys are outstanding with their knowledge....

Please post your problem together with the logs which You have (including

distro name & kernel version).

I'll watch this topic there.

If You will have any questions regarding kernel version, usb messages debgugging etc.

just ask .....

I'm sorry that I can't help more ....

:oops:

MrMadd,

This is really crazy. I got a thinking that if you didn't see it in the things I had posted and it was plugged in, that it must not recognize that USB port. Because you said it wasn't plugged in. I plugged it into another port on the 4 port hub that I have, and worked great!! For some reason Linux doesn't recognize my port on the side of my laptop. That is really unlogical because it should be just hardwired as any other USB port, none the less it is working now! Go Figure??? I really appreciate your help. :thanks:

To further prove my point, I plugged my mouse into the side port, and it doesn't work either. I just don't get it. Oh well.

Shane

I'm happy that my useless points help You to figure it out....

See You around .... :thumbs:

There is a explanation of it - maybe the hub is broken - I saw many

like this situations of broken ports on Ethernet hubs ... just an idea ...

Edited by MrMad

The USB ports on machines are connected to USB controllers. Often, there will be two or more different controllers in a PC connected to the different ports. It's certainly possibly for Linux to support one controller and not the other, or for the support for one of the controllers to be broken somehow. Trying another port is a suggestion I usually make for USB problems...

Ok, in solving problem A, I have created problem B. When I plugged my mouse into the port to test my theory I was right. Now, I plugged my mouse back into the original port, and nothing. I re-booted, and nothing. It still doesn't work. Now what do I do? I went to the MCC and looked at the hardware, and the mouse, and the usb ports, but I really don't know what to do to get it to work right now. Any ideas? Is there a restore thing, or turn the clock back some?

Shane

I was going to make this a new thread, but I would have to cover a lot of ground that has already been covered here. My touch pad works, but I like the mouse better. They both worked before hand I haven't changed anything, just unplugged it, and plugged it into the "bad/unrecognized" port. :wall: