What's up with Nautilus????

bvc

I posted this at MUB, but since we're "open" now.......and in case anyone here doesn't go to MUO.....

O.K., I went from 8.1 to 9.0. I've always used fluxbox or Enlightenment, but since I didn't want E and Fluxbox's not on 9.0 , heh...I'll ckeck gnome2 out. Nice, everythings going great, everything's faster (except oo.org), I go to open nautilus while online and same stinking crap happens that happened in 8.1.......nautilus freezes. So after waiting a while I killed it and went about my business (thinking how dumb their devel team is), and when I log off the net 10 minutes later nautilus opens. I've never heard anyone else mention this sort of prob. I just let it go in 8.1, but after all this time you'd think this would be fixed.

Does anyone know what causes this, or how to stop it. In 8.1 the nautilus version I had, had an option for using to browse or news read or something??? (been a while) but I don't see that anywhere in 9.0. It didn't help in 8.1 either, but 9.0 maybe??? I just found this to be so asburd I have to ask. :evil:

I wonder what gnome 2 looks like, can't wait to figure out

There's no diff. Same, actually less window decor themes. It's the themes that decide the look, and always has. It supposedly has AA for fonts, but I don't see much diff. Fonts in gnome have always looked better than in kde, IMO.

was this a fresh install or upgrade?

If it was an upgrade you may have a bad config file.. Look in your home directory for the hidden file .nautilus (I assume that's the name) rename it to something else and try opening nautilus... it all goes well your config file was messed up.

• 3 weeks later...

Found the prob!

fam, which needs xinetd, and for some reason portmap. This link tipped me off to fam

http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.p...hlight=nautilus

Nautilus and gedit use fam...can you believe that?.....Who thought up this?...I'll tell you....an idiot. I searched and searched google for an answer and didn't find anything, so I guess everyone uses these services? I have never needed them so I just set up 9.0, gnome2, like usual. I'm still in shock :shock: so I'm going to stop b4 I really start to rant.

• 8 months later...
Guest Dmitry

I realize that this thread is old, however do you remember what you did to get nautilus to work?

I have fam, xinetd and portmap installed. However, in the control panel fam service is stopped. When I click on start, I get the following message

“There is no such option for a xinetd service. You can only use the start option to reload a xinetd service. Fam is xinetd service.”

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

You should be able to check it off to run at boot and reboot, which may also require other services to be enabled as well. Or you can edit the xinetd services by hand in /etc/xinetd.d/....fam for example looks like this

# default: on

# description: FAM is a file monitoring daemon. It can # be used to get reports when files change.

service sgi_fam

{

disable             = no

type                = RPC UNLISTED

rpc_version         = 2

rpc_number          = 391002

socket_type         = stream

protocol            = tcp

wait                = yes

user                = root

group    = nogroup

server              = /usr/bin/fam

bind    = 127.0.0.1

}

Change disable =yes to no

then as root in a terminal do

service -f xinetd

SEE: service --help (-f is full restart of the service) This should get fam going...or, reboot.

chkconfig --list

will tell you if it is set to run, but not if it is actually running. (SEE: chkconfig --help)

ps -A

will tell you what IS running.

Is nautilus not starting? What version of mandrake? I ask because I just posted about this here;

http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3279

and kinda stuck my foot in mouth :oops: