Mandriva LE2005 vs. 10.1 Community?

shaner

I'm new to Linux and have been using 10.1 Community for a month. I found Mandriva LE2005, downloaded, checked the iso's, and burned them to CD. Now, is it better than 10.1? Is there an advantage to updating? I don't know anything about 2005, I don't know much about 10.1, are they similar?

Shane :help:

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

I like shinier and newer, but is it better? Some old things are better than the new. I understand it is a relative question, but wanted some ideas as to what is in the new. Does it run smoother? I haven't been using the 10.1 long, so it would be easy to upgrade.

Shane

It is better insofar as it is shinier and newer. :) It includes newer and shinier versions of all the software, and generally speaking software gets better over time. However, there is a small but inevitable risk that some change will make it work less well than 10.1 on your hardware. It's really up to you whether the potential of having a little better everything outweighs the risk of something big suddenly not working right. Why not just try 2005, and if you turn out to have a problem with it, go right back to 10.1?

Ok, I checked the iso's and all is good. Burned the CD's and tried the install, and it hung up. It hung up on some memory thing. I think loading into memory?, I'm not sure, guess that is a big red sign saying BEWARE this will mess up your system. I'm going to stick with 10.1 for a while longer. Thanks for the input!

Shane

Sorry I misplaced this topic.