error compiling KnightsChess

hello!

Well I recently got my gcc working and I guess it is ok now: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25281

now I am trying to compile Knights Chess:

http://knights.sourceforge.net/news_archive.php

so I downloaded and decompress the source code for the K desktop.

in konsole I:

#./configure

even as su and it was going well but in the end it says:

checking for shl_unload in -ldld... no

checking for vsnprintf... yes

checking for snprintf... yes

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

and exists the configuration...

how can I fix this?

:thanks:

[moved from Games by spinynorman]

well I checked in the Mandrake Control Center for the xorg-devel and it appeared as NOT installed so I installed the following packages with their dependencies:

1.Name: libxorg-x11-devel

Version: 6.8.2-7mdk

2.Name: libxorg-x11-static-devel

Version: 6.8.2-7mdk

Name: xorg-x11-server

3.Version: 6.8.2-7mdk

After I clicked Install a message appeared:

The following packages have to be removed for others to be upgraded:

nfs-utils-1.0.6-1mdk.i586 (due to  conflicts with clusternfs-3.0.rc2-10mdk.i586)

is it ok to continue

I clicked Yes and it started to download, I was waiting for a message saying to insert Disc number <any> and install from the CDs...anyways after it finished downloading and installing I tried the export PATH...after I tried the ./configure and here is the output:

checking for libpng... no

checking for libjpeg6b... no

checking for libjpeg... no

configure: WARNING: libjpeg not found. disable JPEG support.

checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0) (headers and libraries) not found. Please check your installation!

For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.

If I understood correctly the current installed version of Qt (whatever that is) is too new and couldnt find the headers and libraries right? but now how can I fix this??

im on it! :D

While it is downloading I have a question: Why is it that now it is downloading everything that is to be installed? can I turn it back to retrieving the packages from the CDs?

The reason of my questino is that downloading packages at the speed my internet connectino goes...is preety slow (15kb/s) and for instance now it is downloading about 119MGs...it will take some time.

On MCC, and at the last edition (2005) urpmi follows the sources sequence which shows up when you open the installer- so if a CD source is listed first, then urpmi gives it the preference over a net resource. But of course urpmi always likes to install the latest matching RPM versions.

Oh, BTW instead of using your physical CD's as RPM sources you can also use your ISO images, if you have a couple of gigas harddisk space to spare. This way the installation will be faster, and you won't have to open/close your CD-ROM tray all the time.

Very interesting....Im not sure what is the urpmi, my guess is that it is the program called by the MCC when I check to install packages but I have not seen a configuration section there as to specify in what order to search for the rpms.

Well it has finished downloading and isntalling a message appeared saying that some configuration files were created as ".rpmnew" or ".rpmsave" so I just clicked ok

Next I tried to (again) ./configure the knights and guess what? yeap! another error...

checking if Qt needs -ljpeg... no

checking for rpath... yes

checking for KDE... configure: error:

in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers installed. This will fail.

So, check this please and use another prefix!

now it says there that I chose a prefix but all I did was

[purefan@dhcp-1397-25 knights]$ ./configure

Im starting to get the feel of it I think, I checked in the MCC for installing "KDE" related packages (even when I using KDE right now) but there are too many packages to be installed and I am preety sure I wont need to install them all; what package is the one that I am suposed to install??

also if you could give me instructions as for how to change the order in which the urpmi searches for the packages it would be great!.

Thanks a lot guys! I feel I have been putting my mandy together for the last week or so, 10 days ago I had no compiler for C++, it was not until a few days that I was able to finally install properly gcc...and now I am still installing packages! hehehe :D

As a normal user, type

export KDEDIR=/usr

(assuming that you run some Mandrake version),

and then run ./configure normally.

You may check if the system reports some basic paths normally by:

echo $KDEDIR

and

echo $QTDIR

You may also put the above export variable at one of your startup scripts, as it only lasts for the terminal session you're running.

You may need some KDE devel packages, dunno which - just check the program dependencies at the site you downloaded the source.

Edited by scarecrow

well...it did not compile...I think I should now install the kdevelope-3.1.2-10mdk package which is 493 MGs...but downloading it...ouch!

well I will install libkdevelop3-3.1.2-10mdk.i586.rpm first and see if it helps...

You need to install the kde header files (needed to compile programs) and not a kde develop package (needed to write programs). Look for something like kdecommon-devel or kdebase-devel. If you already have these installed do: ./configure --prefix=/usr

Good luck