Optimizing my athlonxp for mandrake--help!

discipledoc

This can not really be answered in one little post. Have you compiled a kernel before and are you just looking for what to look out for? Or do you need to know how to compile from scratch?

Either way, you have some reading to do: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWT...ernel-HOWTO.pdf

<- download that file and READ CAREFULLY. The instructions are a bit long-way-round, but then you can be sure your method is solid.

Kernel compiling is a mission, but very safe and once you know what you are doing will benefit you a hell of a lot. Don't get discouraged though, it will probably take a few compiles before you getting a working kernel. Also, download the latest pristine kernel stock from http://www.kernel.org

Using pure source will cut out a lot of potential problems.

Good Luck!

So I have to ask, is it necessary at all to do what you want to do?

yes and no. recompiling the kernel for your specific system will optimize it, but really, it works fine w/o doing that. i have yet to venture into the realm of kernel recompilation.....but...i'm considering it.

Guest joehill

from what I have heard, the Mandrake kernel is already highly optimized. If you recompile with only the AMD options, it might give you a minor performance boost, but is it worth the effort? Well, on a machine like yours (kickass), it's already going to be so fast that you might never notice a difference. Personally, I would only go through a process like recompiling if it was an issue of stability, and I have never heard of an AMD proc having such problems.

Well, my experience is very limited, I have recompiled a kernel only 2 or 3 times, and I was VERY inexperienced and it was really educational.

It was actually quite scary! Cuz one little slip-up and you ain't a-gonna boot.

In my case, it was to upgrade to a kernel that would support video capture and editing, so I was willing to take the risk.

Please keep in mind that my machine is mostly just a "toy", and if I really had a lot of "important" stuff on it, I would probably not bother, (without some serious backing-up.)

I agree that it is probably not needed on a machine that fast, hell, mine's only 1.53 gigahertz and it just smokes!

AND it's almost twice as fast on Linux than it is on M$ products, with NO optimizing!

:wink:

I'm no expert but I've compiled at least 20 times.

It was actually quite scary! Cuz one little slip-up and you ain't a-gonna boot.
[append] the new kernel (if you don't do make install)

Whether it would make a diff depends on more than the athlon. Everything else working?...chipsets/bridges ect...? If not and there's a newer kernel with a fix/update then you should seriously consider a kernel compile. Even if it means a vanilla kernel from kernel.org and applying the necessary patches and some other patches for optimization. When I started using ML my chipset was BARELY supported. When a mdk kernel with full support was released I was on it! It made a big diff! How well would a family of 5 function in a house with only one working bathroom :wink: So if all is well, don't bother. I will say that it seems the less unused crap in a kernel the less random freezes and weird occurances ect...which is what is also implied by kernel docs throughout the internet.