noob's first try at linux

Guest noob_05

Guest noob_05

i just downloaded the le20005. have a question about security setting. i want to have both windows and linux installed. which security setting should i use normal or high?

also what is a good place to learn linux? any books i should read?

that's all for now thx every one

Unless you're planning on hosting a web page or ftp site or something, normal security should be fine. Make sure you have a normal user for yourself other than the root account, and that should be enough security for a normal user.

As for books, look on amazon for Linux systems administration guides. Frankly though, Google and Mandrakeusers.org is all you really need. That's all I used when I got started and look at me now. B)

Post back here with more questions. The prople on this board are extra helpful and very prompt. You'll love it.

Nate

use "standard" security.

At one point I had found a beautiful guide for Debian. Can't find it now - besides this is not debian , it's rpm.

for KDE you might look at http://developer.kde.org/documentation/ also http://www.kde.org/

Googling will help you a lot. Also, definitely look through the Mandrivausers.org forum How-to's and tips and tricks - wealth of info in there.

Much of the info is badly out of date. This kern is 2.6.11

Some thoughts:

http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html

http://tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/index.html (memorize that - we'll test you tomorrow :cheesy:

http://tldp.org/guides.html (where I got the above 2 from)

(most folks here probably don't know most of this stuff - especially me!!! but it's nice to take a quick look and get a sense that if you havbe a question, many times qooqlg can help you find the answer)(I usually ask a question here ahd then start googling) - Actually, I usually use SEARCH here, then ask a question here, then google. SEARCH is a fantastic time saver!!!!!!! (top of page)

Hope that doesn't confuse too much!

Kristi

Welcome to Linux!

Well, now that you've had the courage to make the leap, the first thing you really should do is buy a Linux Administration Book. I bought a Redhat version many years ago when Mandrake was based on Redhat and I still use it to this day. That type of book will help you get confortable with the command line which at the end of the day will become your best friend.

Second, you should examine the Mandrake Control Center (MCC) and discover the configuration tools Mandrake has provided. One of the most usefull things you can learn are the names of the applications that are lunched from the MCC. For instance to run the MCC from the command line all you'd have to do is type "drakconf". There will be times when the gui has gone to the darkside, so getting confortable with the command line is half the battle.

Third, once you get everything installed and working, search message bords like www.linuxquestions.org, here of course, kde-look.org, and gnome-look.org for new software, and configuration options. One of the best things about linux is the fact that theres always something new to play with, or you can just use it and never tinker if that's your preference.

If you installed Mandriva documentation, it should be on the menu somewhere. In 10.0, it's under Other Applications. Navigate to the Command Line Manual.

If it's not installed, you can view it at www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fdoc.php3. The very latest documentation isn't made available here, but the command line manual won't have changed much. :)

Two helpful books are the O'Reilly ones "Running Linux" and "Linux in a Nitshell."

A couple of things that people stimble over when starting with Linux are partitioning and setting up the bootloader. There are a lot of good posts here about each. It is especially important to plan in advance how you are going to set up your hard drive(s).

Good luck. You will find great help here.

Guest noob_05

thx

i have installed linux on my hp pavilion 8754c. however i had a problem, i only by passed them but didnt solve them.

first i have a powercolor ati radeon 7500 pci card. it failed to run in linux setup (i played around with the settings, but no luck) so i removed it and now im useing intel 82810E CGC on board graphics card.

Guest noob_05

i tired to install the new firefox1.0.4 i got this

*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x081bd408 ***

./firefox-installer: line 56: 439 Aborted ./${BINNAME}-bin $@

help!!

i tired to install the new firefox1.0.4 i got this

*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x081bd408 ***

./firefox-installer: line 56:  439 Aborted                ./${BINNAME}-bin $@

help!!

beats the hell out of me - I just checked and I'm running ff1.02 - that's what came with Mandriva2005LE.

You could try the firefox forum at mozillizine.

Kristi

correction: the book is called "Linux in a Nutshell", not nitshell. ;)

I know the book well, but since I make typos all the time, nitshell seemed kinda normal... :cheesy:

As far as books go, try google, first - cheaper and often quicker. Unless you can't remember "tail" so you dopn't know what to look up!!! :lol2::lol2::lol2: