MDK to MDk networking [solved]

Trio3b

NEW to networking but have now invested 2 months and not getting anywhere. Running two MDK 10.0 PCs w/crossover cable. PC 1 is the connection to internet via dialup modem. I did not use MCC to configure the modem connection to internet......used Kppp. I DID use MCC to configure the LAN connection between PC1 and PC2.

PC1

name mybox1.home

gateway 192.168.0.1

PC2

name mybox2.home

gateway 192.168.0.1

I have every gigantic networking tutorial .pdf on my desktop.....NFS,SMB, SSH. I have used sftp in konqueror successfully to share files between PC1 and PC2, except...... that when I used MCC to configure the LAN connections, it messes with the resolv.conf file and my browsers don't work.

So I delete the LAN connection on PC1 in MCC, then I delete the contents of the resolv.conf file and browsing is back to normal, but of course.....no file sharing.

I have posted about this before and have received notice that the MCC is buggy when setting up networking and have read this on the FAQs on this forum.

Now some new problem after messing with PC1:

PC2 is able to ping itself, but not PC1 (destination host unreacheable)

PC 1 returns with

[name@mybox1 user]$ ping 192.168.0.1

PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---

7 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 5998ms

I noticed that /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 on PC 2 is in green and did not exist in PC1 so I created it, but of course it is a now a directory (in blue).

What is the significance if this file being in green on PC2 and non existent (but newly created as a directory)in PC1?

Have received some help on these forums, but it is just not working out. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Edited by Trio3b

green means that, the file is a script and it is executable, try to $ls -l in that directory, see that wrx-rx-rx or something like that.

ok, try to configure your nic using the ifconfig tool if MCC gives you trouble, well, i dunno really whats the difference while mcc just serves as gui of ifconfig ( just correct me if im wrong)

For dial-up, you don't want an initial gateway address set up on PC1 - this will get set automatically when you dial up, so remove the GATEWAY= line in /etc/sysconfig/network.

For the rest have a look at my ICS with a modem howto :http://www.iwpcs.co.uk/ics_modem.html

for PC1

and the simple net setup at http://www.iwpcs.co.uk/simple_net_setup.html for the client.

You can create a new (empty) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 with

touch /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
chmod 766 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Follow the howtos through - if it still doesn't work, there are a couple of commands at the bottom. Post the results of these here, and we can help more. If you are unsure about any of it, or it is unclear, let me know so I can improve it!

Good luck!

Edited by streeter

OK.....removed gateway

used rm -r to remove the ifcfg-eth0 directory I created

used your touch and chmod commands to create a new ifcfg-eth0 file (not directory)

can now file share usinf sftp: in Konqueror

Am posting thru my browser...........so I guess I'm back on track and better off than before!

Keep fingers crossed that this holds up.........

On to internet sharing and SAMBA............

Just curious......you mentioned that the gateway will be determined when I dialup, but here's before and after........

BEFORE:

[*****@mybox1 sysconfig]$ cat network

HOSTNAME=mybox1.home

NETWORKING=yes

AFTER:

[*****@mybox1 sysconfig]$ cat network

HOSTNAME=mybox1.home

NETWORKING=yes