Arch: How to create a local repository [solved]

hi,

the subject basically states my problem so here is a background of my current situation. im going to put it in bullet form since i have to hurry home. :(

* i have installed Arch 0.7 from the iso

* i download packages here at the office and bring them home

* i maintain the following structure at home

/mnt/cdrom/arch/pkg <-- available only when i mount it

/storage/current

/storage/extra

/storage/testing

* i have already edited /etc/pacman.conf to include entries for the above directories. each on their corresponding sub-section.

* in the pacman conf file, i commented out all references to internet repositories. only those referencing the local package directories

* in the pacman conf file, i placed the testing subsection only immediately before the custom section (which is empty).

* i dont have any abs-related files. i dont even have /var/abs.

now how do i generate the database (<name>.db.tar.gz) for all the packages in the local repositories? i also want to create my own packages but the tutorials are always saying to use abs sync option which i think will connect to the internet.

my last option would be to host a ftp/http server to host the packages but unless i can generate my own then i dont think it will help. i think i can also just download the db.tar.gz of each directory and just put it in the appropriate directory but i would really like to know how to generate those given that i only have ready-made packages.

thanks.

ciao!

Edited by ramfree17

ok, i did the download the current db package route.

the problem is that only the "current" works. i have to comment out the other repository entries (even the [<repository>] lines!!!) or else invocation of

# pacman -S package

will return an error similar to "cannot sync extra database. have you used --refresh yet?" which i did without any errors.

can fellow arch users point out what i am missing? thanks.

ciao!

Switching to another Arch server, probably.

Edit your /etc/pacman.d/extra and put on top of the mirrors list another one, closer to you (or more reliable).

And after that

pacman -Sy package

should first synch the repositories and then fetch and install "package".

You can also get an ncurses based pacman frontend named "pacmenu" from the Arch AUR repos.

Edited by scarecrow

i commented out the include to the external servers since i dont have a usable internet at home. that is why i am downloading everything here in the office and just transporting them via flash disks.

im reading some more abs documentation but i cant see a way to fool the local abs to stop connecting to the internet. only http and ftp access are allowed here in the office. :(

ciao!

thanks iph. but how can i create the abs directory if i dont have an internet connection in my arch box?

and since i am just downloading the packages from an arch mirror, how can i get the PKGBUILD (assuming they are not included in the abs directory to be created) of those packages?

and last question for the day, why is pacman complaining about not being able to open/sync the extra database? if i am not mistaken my pacman.conf entry looks like this (minus the first few lines and the comments):

{current}
Server=file:///mnt/cdrw/arch/pkg
Server=file:///storage/packages/arch/current

{extra}
Server=file:///storage/packages/arch/extra

{testing}
Server=file:///storage/packages/arch/testing

{unstable}
Server=file:///storage/packages/arch/unstable

i cant figure out why for the life of me it fails on reading the extra db package. i download everything from the antesis mirror. :(

ciao!

With the ABS tree part it says you can make your own, so you *could* try making one manually, maybe it doesnt need the pkgbuilds.

or.... you can download and use the abs tree i have just updated and uploaded for you. just cd to /var and extract.

https://iphitus.no-ip.org/abs-tree.tar.gz

Edited by iphitus

thanks iph.

i got the first part of this nailed already. it seems pacman was failing in creating the /var/lib/pacman/extra directory so i gave it a helping hand. after doing a --sync --refresh all worked as advertised.

and an additional bonus, for 5 freaking minutes i was able to connect last night to my 384bps (peak) telco isp provider and was able to download at least until half of the multimedia tree before i got disconnected. i will try with your archived menu to see if it can facilitate things up. thanks.

this thread is now considered solved. i will just spawn a new one for the abs problem if the need arises.

ciao!