2 questions

kungfooya

I have recently installed mandriva 2005 and overall its been the easiest mandrake

version for me to run. But I have 2 minor issues with it that maybe some of you could

help me clear up.

1) When booting up, its seems like it takes way longer than previous versions.

I would say it takes at least 2x as long to boot as 10.0, or longer. It seems to hang

the longest when starting portmapper. I have shutdown portmapper in the services

area, but still it takes forever.

2) When booting up up, KDE doesn't always start. Instead of going into KDE, I get

a login prompt. As far as I know, this is random. Any ideas whats going on here?

Thanks for any advice. Like I said these are minor issues, but I'd like to figure them

out.

Jason

yeah, if you already disabled portmapper (and harddrake, if you don't change hardware a lot) then there's not a lot else you can do. It's just slower. Sorry about that. :)

for the second problem, what kind of graphics card do you have?

kungfooya: edit /etc/modprobe.preload and add the word 'nvidia' on a new line, if it's not there already. harddrake does not deal with USB devices, as they're hotpluggable; you can disable it safely. It deals with coldplug devices, i.e., ones you would not change without powering down the system (internal drives, PCI cards etc). If you ever do decide to change one of these things, remember to re-enable harddrake before doing so :)

adamw, thanks for the suggestions, i will try them this weekend. I have another question for you all after reading the responses. I have been using linux/mandrake

since 9.2, and have learned a bunch of stuff using it. My question is, how do you guys get to know all of this stuff? Do you buy books, read online? I would like to

get to the point where I could just say, do this and this, then this. But its hard to

find something that says what each thing does, in terms a average guy can understand. I think i'm rambling, thanks agin for the responses.

Jason

adamw, thanks for the suggestions, i will try them this weekend. I have another question for you all after reading the responses.

just worked for me too: do that! (give us your feedback)

I have been using linux/mandrake

since 9.2, and have learned a bunch of stuff using it. My question is, how do you guys get to know all of this stuff? Do you buy books, read online? I would like to

get to the point where I could just say, do this and this, then this. But its hard to

find something that says what each thing does, in terms a average guy can understand. I think i'm rambling, thanks agin for the responses.

Jason

passion ... a lot of hours to read, indeed, a lot of time on forums and to search & try new functionalities, to read & search solutions on the net (Google is your friend :tm: ), to test, to use ... just a passion.

I'm coming from the microsoft world (since 1990, I'm 27 now) and I'm still a newbie with linux. I'm using mandrake/mandriva since this year (january). I was lost. Totally lost. Wazza? Serious. And now, may 2005, I'm feeling more confident with linux because all of that. I wanted to do the step and in any case I regret. Linux is fascinating. But not only Linux: the community (like MUB), open source softwares, philosophy, spirit in general, freedom of the choice, security ... and so much more still.

Yes, I can say it, in my case, it's passion!

Google, mailing lists, IRC. I've never read a book on Linux. I've probably learned most from following Cooker; the Cooker ml is not a support list and you shouldn't post questions there, but you will pick up a large amount of miscellaneous technical knowledge in passing.