Can't boot LILO in text mode with MDK 9.0

bnc75ohm

Hello - I'm using LILO to boot and I'm stuck booting with the graphical menu even though I tried switching to text using the Boot Config utility in the Mandrake Control Center. I should note that the machine shuts down with a text menu, but doesn't boot this way. Can I edit lilo.conf or another file to achieve this? Thanks in advance.

bnc

--

When you say lilo, do you mean the menu that allows you to select what OS to startup with (e.g. windows or linux) as in a boot manager or do you mean the messages that appear while you are starting Mandrake?

If you mean the startup messages for Mandrake, then you need to uninstall bootsplash as well.. Also, in the lilo.conf look for a quiet option for the Mandrake entry. If found, it will suppress boot messages and you don't want that :P

I got the same problem when I upgraded from MDK 8.2 to 9.0. I was annoyed by that because sometimes I need to append custom boot parameters at the lilo prompt, and I couldn't figure it out how to do so in the "graphical" mode of the lilo menu.

After some investigation, I found out that the file /boot/message-text was NOT a text file. As a matter of fact, it was identical to the file /boot/message-graphic which possibly contains the graphical background of the graphical lilo boot options.

So, what I did:

1. Replaced /boot/message-text with a plain text file (something like "Please use the arrows to choose the boot option or wait 5 seconds to boot the default option");

2. Changed lilo-conf to read, at the relevant line:

install=/boot/boot-menu.b

*********WARNING!!!***** : Yes, I know, there is NO such file /boot/boot-menu.b, but don't worry - this is a "feature" of the later LILO releases - this "file" is built-in in the lilo program itself (believe me, this is in lilo documentation, just its not that easy to find unless you know what to search for in advance...).

3. Run /sbin/lilo (as root), cross your fingers, and try it out...

Andreas

Afunke - Thanks for your help, but I don's have a "install=..." line in my lilo.conf file, should I add the one you suggest? Here's what's in my /etc/lilo.conf file:

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default=linux

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

timeout=300

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux-nonfb

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=failsafe

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label=windze

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label=floppy

unsafe

Any ideas what I can do to get a text screen when I boot?

Thanks -

bnc

--

Yes, just add an "install=/boot/boot-text.b" or "install=/boot/boot-menu.b" line just above the default=linux line, and don't forget to run /sbin/lilo as root.

Lilo.conf manual page reads:

install=<boot-loader>

(...)

(Version 22.3): The selection of the user interface with

"install=" is dependent upon the presence of the substrings

"text", "menu", or "bmp" in the parameter to the "install=". The

boot loaders selected are no longer files, but are contained

within the boot-installer binary /sbin/lilo. If "install=" is

omitted, the default boot loader is "menu", unless "bitmap=" is

specified (see above), in which case the boot loader "bmp" will

be selected.

Andreas

I was annoyed by that because sometimes I need to append custom boot parameters at the lilo prompt, and I couldn't figure it out how to do so in the "graphical" mode of the lilo menu.

I was kinda suprised to find that mandrake went to such lengths to wanker up lilo. :?

It sure does make it difficult to pass a command line option at boot... sheesh, I'll give this a try here and see what happens. However I do get the text flying by after I choose which kernel to boot. So all that needs fixing here is a way to be able to pass command line options.

Well.. since mandrake is geared toward desktop, a bit of beauty sometimes needs to overcome some flexibility.

But I kinda agree that the lilo boot screen should have a "Press escape to see the command line lilo option" writing in it.. kinda similar to a computer POST screen "press F1/F10/esc to enter bios setup." That would be a useful feature.