Turning off automount

I_NEED_HELP

Can anyone tell me how i turn off automount as im fairly sure thats the source of one of my troubles in linux. For someone reason im able to copy one thing from a cd. After that whatever i do it tells me the location doesnt exist or something similar when i hit back or try going to a location, I then have to reboot before ejecting the CD most times. Its driving me mad.

If you have done a fresh install, Supermount is installed and not Automount.

To disable Supermount open a console, login as root (su) and type

supermount -i disable

Now reboot (shutdown -r now) and your problem should be behind you ...

Remember that once Supermount is disabled, you have to mount/umount every removable media manually.

Hope that help

MOttS

I have a similar problem since upgrading to MDK9, when I insert a CD, some of the directories are not listed although I know for sure they are there. If I type

cd dirname

in this case, it says the directory doesn't exist. Sometimes ejecting and inserting again solves the problem. Sometimes I need to insert another CD and then the first one.

It's really annoying cuz I never had that before.

I gave my install CDs to a friend who has completely different and more recent hardware and he has the same problem :roll:

I checked the CD md5sum before burning.

Now reboot (shutdown -r now) and your problem should be behind you ...MOttS

Not trying to be difficult, but remember that one BIG plus to linux is not having to reboot after every change, so try to keep those instructions out whenever possible! :lol:

Since linux IS superior to doze afterall.

Now reboot (shutdown -r now) and your problem should be behind you ...MOttS

Not trying to be difficult, but remember that one BIG plus to linux is not having to reboot after every change, so try to keep those instructions out whenever possible! :lol:

Since linux IS superior to doze afterall.

Not trying to be difficult, but I didn't know the 'mount -a -o remount ' and the only was to reboot ..

If you are not happy then 'supermount -i enable' and do like you have never read that post ... :evil:

MOttS

Guest LinuxExplorer

Not that its helping, but I was curious if anyone that's used the second beta of 9.1 that had trouble with supermount has seen it fixed in the new release.

How do I disable only one specific auto mounting point? 

May have a config file for aout-mounting wich I can disable a specific line.

First of all, open up /etc/fstab as root. You'll see some lines containing the word 'supermount'. Either you let that word or you remove it depending of your need. The 'supermount -i disable' remove all the supermount in /etc/fstab so by editing it by hand you can remove it on the device of your choice.

Once you are done save it and type 'mount -a -o remount' as root again.

Hope that help

MOttS