*Screammmmms* #@$%!! OpenOffice !!

hippocampe

:evil::evil::evil::evil:

*although I doubt seahorses do*

When I want to hang my entire linux system, this is what I do, it never fails: start open office (if i'm lucky it would freeze then). If it did not freeze yet, open a document and open some dialog boxes in OOo, close OOo and start it again. There you go, just the mouse would move. All I can do is reboot using the SysRq key sequences (which reminds me of another infamous 3-key combination in another world).

Right now there is no way I can use OOo.

I had this problem with my initial install of MDK9 and I thought I screwed up some package dependencies since I chose to pick the packages I want installed. So I did a clean new install and just let it install whatever packages it judged necessary and it froze again the first time I ran OpenOffice :evil:

Since I have to reboot, I do not have many ways to identify the problem. I can't tell what *exactly* makes it crash. Right now it appears to do so at random.

I have checked the logs and .xsession-errors but nothing interesting or consistent showed up. It seems linux doesn't even have the time to write in the log when it crashes like that.

I also tried launching it from command-line so maybe it would print some diagnostic messages but this is all it gave:

SIOCGIFADDR got '00:00:00:00:00:00'

I googled for that but again no satisfying answers......

Does anyone else have this same problem?

Please, can anybody help me? point me to the right direction? It's driving me crazy.

Thanks guys.

(BTW: is JRE needed by OOo? urpmi says everything already installed on my system. urpmq jre returns Kaffe)

Mandrake 9 workstation install (Gnome, KDE)

Athlon Thunderbird 850 MHz

256Mb

I would download Open Office, uninstall and reinstall the new download. I use Open Office with no problems (except for that funny menu problem that manifests with the wrong fonts).

Another thought is, if you used a cd version, and superbotch, I mean supermount, is enabled, I think odd problems can occur during installs. It's just a hunch. At any rate, supermount should be turned off on every system.

I'm using the version included on the Mandrake 9 CDs (download edition) so I guess it should be a stable version :roll:

In my previous install of MDK9, I already installed the version from OOo website but it was actually more unstable than the one included on the Mandrake CDs. So I'm wondering if it is going to help this time. Anyway I have nothing to lose if I try......

I'm using the version included on the Mandrake 9 CDs (download edition) so I guess it should be a stable version  :roll: 

In my previous install of MDK9, I already installed the version from OOo website but it was actually more unstable than the one included on the Mandrake CDs. So I'm wondering if it is going to help this time. Anyway I have nothing to lose if I try......

I use the mandrake 9.0 version with no problems at all on 3 different systems, how much ram do you have?

Did you do an md5sum check of the disks?

Yes I did and they were OK.

Also as I said, I did twice the install and with different sets of disks. I downloaded again the iso images for the second install. I would really be doomed if the two downloads have the same problem affecting exactly OpenOffice.

how much ram do you have?

256 Mb

Staroffice has also been a dog show for me. My cds sumed perfectly, there are no reasons except blatant bugs for the problems I have been having with Open Office.

That said, it is a very 'young' piece of software and I'm sure the next release will be amazing. People, like me, who are having problems will just have to wait it out.

The problems I have:

- Takes super long to open

- Sometimes closes again as soon as it has opened (and after a few tries,

stays open if I'm lucky)

- Is the most frustrating wp to use tables with, keeps screwing up the spacing

- Slow, slow, slow

Guest jglen490

I use, on occasion, OO.o 1.0.1 on my laptop (P120/72MB/2.1GB). I say "on occasion" because with the limited horsepower of my machine, it takes forever plus 10 minutes to load. However, once loaded it's stable as can be -- just abysmally slow. I would suspact that there may be something wrong with the file on your CD.

Try uninstalling (and completely removing), downloading from OO.o, and reinstalling following the instructions at OO.o. And BTW, there is a new version available -- a bug-fixed 1.0.2.

I removed OOo and installed the version from the OOo website. I did a single user install and it seemed more stable than previously. Some bugs present in the previous install also disapeared!! It seems it's just the fact that I switched to single user install that improved things. Can't say for sure though, I gotta use it more to make sure my problems are really gone :roll:

And yeah, I upgraded to 1.0.2, I hope this one will be better.

Strangely, I couldn't upgrade the previous version or is it me? I didn't find any options which allows to upgrade the old version so I just removed it and entered again my configs. No big deal.

Thanks to all of you who helped, I've been struggling with it since I upgraded to mdk9 and was really lost.