Harddrake downloading new drivers

solarian

Hi there!

Well, here's what happened to me today and I had to reinstall my system.

First time after installing 10.2 rc2 some days later (today) I clicked on harddrake and it immediately told me it wanted to download something from the net. I was stupid enough to say yes. :wall:

Anyways, it downloaded new drivers for my Radeon 9000

After reboot X didn't start. I tried to edit the xorg.conf file (I have plenty of experience with it), but no matter what I did (mcc, etc) X didn't start. There were various error messages, one told something about that I have older kernel module than that the driver requires or something like that (or that my module was older than the kernel must have). And it showed the version number of that module and what was weird was that it told that I had something like x.1.2 but I needed at least x.1.1

No logic at all!

Anyways, just want to say: be careful when allowing harddrake to download anything.

It was a timecostly lesson for me

Edited by solarian

Unless you are changing hardware it is useful to go into MCC -> Services and deactivate harddrake to not start at boot.

This also speeds up bootup quite considerably since it is no longer searching for hardware changes you know have not been made.

It often creates unnecessary problems after having served its major purpose in the original Mandrake install.

If you plan to change hardware then it is a good practice to reactivate it before shutting down to make the hardware changes. After completion then booting up again and progressing through login then deactivate it once again.

I have followed this practice for a couple of years now and have never had problems.

Cheers. John.

Unless you are changing hardware it is useful to go into MCC -> Services and deactivate harddrake to not start at boot.

<<snip>>

I have followed this practice for a couple of years now and have never had problems.

Cheers.                          John.

I don't know if it is just this particular piece of hardware or if it is all USB mice, but without harddrake, my USB mouse does not work. Apparently, for some reason, it has to be detected by harddrake at every boot.

Isn't the USB Mouse situation more to do with the hot-plugging system that is supposed to overcome this problem ?? I don't know because I do not use a usb mouse and I only have a Scanner and Joystick on usb. I have hot-plugging disabled in Services anyhow and have no problems.

I do remember back when I used my mouse in usb mode that I used to have problems which I seem to remember I solved by a setting in the bios. I think it was something like USB Mouse support (default was <disabled>.) Changed it to enabled and had no problems thereafter.

Maybe that is your solution.

Cheers. John.