The places we work at:

ilia_kr

I prefer putting my monitors in front of a window, instead of with a plain wall behind them. It just feels better, and is supposedly better for your eyes as there is more depth inolved in what you are looking at - a flat wall just aids in leading to short-sightedness.

Uh... and that's all :cheesy:

I'm sitting and squinting at a monitor in front of a window at the moment. On an overcast day in February, it's great. On a sunny May morning, I find myself having to shade my eyes.

I would find it better to have the monitor at right angles to the window (assuming my room was a different shape). Then, you're not competing with a bright field, and you don't get too many reflections.

Also, may I recommend that you take a look at the book "Peopleware" by Tim Lister and Tom de Marco. This has an excellent discussion of the work environment. Basically, for serious computer work, it comes down to "something you can easily ignore". Quiet, reasonable temperature, comfortable, ability to turn off the phone. And that's about it. Too many distractions, and you never get any work done.

Of course, as Dave Gorman said in his excellently funny "Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure" (DVD), "But my computer is connected to the Internet, which as we all know contains everything about the whole world, ever. I don't know about you, but I find everything about the whole world ever just a little bit distracting."

So, for real work, turn off your internet connection too :-)

get rid of the PC table thing and just replace it with a spacy table...

I have yet to find a decent commercial PC workspace design that works better than a straight desk... I use some solid Ikea tables for mine...

Actually I did have some nice ones when I worked in Norway but they were about $1200 each and werre completely adjustable.

gowator: I agree entirely, 'computer desks' are a ridiculous idea and always more trouble than they're worth. A big solid slab of wood with a nice chair is what you want.

veedub: The couple of pairs of headphones sitting on top of my PC in that picture are about $75 each ;). Grado SR-80s, Sony 'Eggo' MDR-D66 (since replaced with D77s).