Dell vs. Mandrake 10.1/Windows XP problems

lostlinux

:help: I have been here before, but I want to give everyone a rundown on my Dell (ugh!) system as I am having difficulties using a dual-boot O/S system with Windows XP and Mandrake 10.1.

System: Dell Dimension 2400 Series, Intel Pentium 4 CPU @2.660 GHz

256MB DDR SDRAM @333MHz

Integrated Intel 3D AGP Graphics

A940 Dell Inkjet Printer (Port USB B001)

80GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA Hard Drive

No floppy drive

Windows XP Home Edition w/SP-2 installed

Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

56K PCI Data Fax Modem Conexant D850 56k V.9xDFVc (port Com 3)

Artec DVD+/-RW 12x internal

Last night I spent 2 hours on the phone with someone at Dell who was unable to help me.

My problems are as listed:

1.) I am unable to connect to the internet using a KDE desktop with Mandrake 10.1 I have gone through all the searches for my modem but have found none that matches the above listed modem. I have run a search for kppp and have come up empty.

2.) I am unable since I have installed Mandrake 10.1 to use my Dell printer on the Windows platform. I have uninstalled the printer, reinstalled the drivers and get an error message from Windows stating that this is not a Windows 32 application. I think that there is a definite O/S conflict here. I have tried all 6 USB ports on my tower and have received the same error message. However, this is a LINUX board, but I think that giving this information could possibly enable someone out there to figure out this problem.

3.) I can use Windows for all internet and email applications. Unfortunately, I am unable to use Linux for any and all of the above.

I hope that giving a complete rundown of my system will enable some person to give me some valuable help. Dell would have given me some help, but they wanted to charge me with no guarantees. I did pass on their "offer" of assistance.

Regards,

Bob

Greetings!

Things you should know.

Some printers and most modems are a variety known as "winmodems" and "winprinters". That means the drivers from windows is the only thing designed to work the equipement. Nice, eh? Well, a winmodem driver has been written for linux that works much of the time. Google "winmodem" and you'll find the files with the instal instructions. Printers are not so nice. You may have to experiment with different drivers to see if one will work. But first, you'll have to figure out who actually made your Dell printer. My guesses are either Canon or Lexmark.

Linux does not mess up windows. Your usb and driver issues are with errors in xp home. Be sure to run all the updates for the windows os, or it won't work correctly. xppro works, xphome teases.

:D So, I guess with XP Home I am basically screwed?...as far as updates, that is. Updating all the USB & driver issues I will try, I guess that I need to go to <microcost.com>. Just a footnote, may be interesting background....I lived in the Pacific NW for 24 years and witnessed the Microsoft empire build up in Redmond, WA. Don't want to go into any detail other than I have had issues with people that only use Windows. I feel rather stupid after having 2 computers in the past that ran Red Hat. Granted, I was a newbie, and still am. I will assure you that I don't know "jack" about Mandriva.

I would appreciate it if you would stay in touch. :D I will let you know my progress. :jester: At this point I am not that concerned about the printer, I will cross that bridge when I get there. My main concern is establishing an internet connection with Mandriva.

:thanks:

Bob