Sharing Printer across home network [solved]

Hey,

I have setup a fileserver at home, it's my old 300mhz box and the family is quite happy to use the new drives in My Computer on their windows boxen that points to their samba share.

I also want to get the primary printer shared. I can get it up and running with cups, printing test pages and all, but I am at a loss at how to share it, do I share it with samba? or is it possible for the windows computers to connect to cups? How?

iphitus

-- posted in other linux distros as server is running Arch Linux.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my printer on a linux box set up with cups and samba, with the printer obviously shared. The Windows systems (XP and 2000 Pro) pick it up with no trouble, but need to have the drivers installed on their systems). I'm assuming your printer is on the Linux box.

I have my printer on a linux box set up with cups and samba, with the printer obviously shared. The Windows systems (XP and 2000 Pro) pick it up with no trouble, but need to have the drivers installed on their systems). I'm assuming your printer is on the Linux box.

Nice to know..... but how.

Yes my printer is on the linux box, i mentioned that above.

Couldyou post your

/etc/samba/smb.conf

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

/etc/cups/printers.conf

You don't need to see the cups stuff. If the printer works localy with cups, all youneed to share it is the proper samba.conf, and here's mine

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2005/04/14 16:30:49

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
server string = Samba Server %v
security = SHARE
encrypt passwords = No
map to guest = Bad User
guest account = stephen
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
dns proxy = No
printer admin = @adm

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
path = /home/stephen/SAMBAshare
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
hosts allow = 192.168.0.

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side printer drivers.
use client driver = Yes
browseable = No

[print$]
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
write list = @adm, root
inherit permissions = Yes
guest ok = Yes
hosts allow = 192.168.0.

[pdf-gen]
comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
path = /var/tmp
printable = Yes
printing = bsd
print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf "%s" "%H" "//%L/%u" "%m" "%I" "%J" &
lpq command = /bin/true
lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j

[psc-1210]
comment = HP PSC 1210 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
path = /var/spool/samba
read only = No
create mask = 0700
guest ok = Yes
hosts allow = 192.168.0.
printable = Yes
print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side printer drivers.
printer name = psc-1210
use client driver = Yes
oplocks = No
share modes = No

You'll notice that this was generated by samba swat. (Samb Web Admin Tool) and I HIGHLY reccomend installing that. It makes life much easier when confrigureing samba.

Let me explain a few of those lines. psc-1210 is my printer. It's actualy a multi function, but I can only print across netrwork.

hosts allow as I have it will allow access to my printer from anyone with the ip addres starting with 192.168.0. which is fine because every computer in my house is in the same network group.

You also need to be sure you have readonly = no, printable = yes, and unless you set up users on you machine for every winodws PC in the house, you'll want guest ok = yes.

Enjoy

As for setting up the printer on the windows boxer, that's easy.

First, make sure that the linux box and winodws boxes are all in the same workgroup. You'll notice my linux machine thinks it's in the MSHOME work group. If you have several windows PC's, it's just easier to let the linux box be on MSHOME, because it's the default for all windows machines.

Then, on the windows machines, just open up the control center>printers>add a new printer and follow the dummy clicks for a printer attatched to the local network.

It's really not tough, but if you have problems, I can help.

Edited by VeeDubb

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I'm having the same question. I copied the samba.conf, but I have a different printer, and don't know what I should put down for my printer. I'm refering to the [psc-1210] part. I don't have that type of printer. I have a Canon i560 on my Linux and would like to be able to print from XP to the network printer. How do I do that final configurations, or where do I find that info? Thanks.

Shane

You want to print on your linux box from xp? When you set up Samba you need to make sure that you are sharing your printer. I usually set up Samba from localhost:901. Assuming that your printer is installed and working in Linux and it is shared you are in business. You will have to install the drivers on XP. If Samba is set up correctly XP will see the printer when it searches for network printers when you go to add a printer. Hope this is clear.

I usually set up Samba from localhost:901.

Ok, I can print fine with the Linux. And when the printer is connected to XP it prints fine. I'm dual booting this machine, so, it in the XP network it works fine. However when I get to Linux with windows network, well no go. Can you explain your statement above? what is localhost:901? and how do you set that up? I edited the smb.conf file and then found someone elses post to copy and try and add printers, but failed. I'm pretty new to this.

Thanks!

Shane

In a browser (Konq, Mozilla, whatever) enter localhost:901 as the url. It will get you to Swat (the Samba config utility). You have to make sure swat is running (MCC -> System -> Services). Also in MCC -> Sharing you can also set up file and print sharing.

polemicz,

Ok, I tried the localhost:901 and it said it wasn't allowed. I looked for swat in the MCC - System - Services and there isn't a swat option. Also in the MCC I didn't see a sharing option. I'm using LE2005. What nexted? Thanks for your help!

Shane