internet does not work, "lan not connected"

Guest bartonjo2

Guest bartonjo2

I just installed Mandrake 10.0 and the internet would not work. I tried everything and finally decided to reinstall it, no good. Is there a way to auto detect connection? BTW I set it to use eth0 but when Mandrake starts up it says the hardware eth0 fails. It should auto detect right? Knoppix does it and it is linux so this should do it? How can I fix this?

FYI

I am on a lan, my gateway is at 192.168.0.1 (DLINK)

THe network is run as a small home or office network by windows xp with printers connected as well

My ip address on the lan is 192.168.0.103

Edited by bartonjo2

Guest burr54

I had a problem with my lan connection at first also using a bellsouth westell modem. I had it hooked up to a usb port. Once I changed to an ethernet cable from the modem to the computer, all was well. I'm a newbie too, so I don't know if this will help you. Good luck!

Have a look at the output of /sbin/ifconfig

if there is no entry for eth0 then it's a good sign the correct driver isn't being used. polemicz is probably onto something with the chipset, if you don't know run this:

lspci -v | grep -i ethernet

You can verify quickly if your ethernet board has been detected by mandrakelinux if you go into the Center of Control of Mandrakelinux. Then select Material and look for the Ethernet board on the list.

Tell us if you see it.

Ciao