What should I install? [solved]

JungMin

I am pretty new to Linux. I have installed a few other distributions over the past year, but end up deleting them in a few days because I didnt like them. Too steep of a learning curve for a Linux newbie like me. I am very computer competant, but know nuthin about Linux except the bare basics.

I've done alot of reading and it sounds like Mandrake 10.1 (or 10.2PowerPack-but I cant seem to figure out what this is) or Mandriva 2005 might be for me???

Which one do you think is better for a Linux Newbie (basically anyways - I know a tiny bit)?????

Thanks....Let me know what you think please!!! Or if you think another distribution is better, by all means let me know.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place...didnt really know where to put it.

Edited by JungMin

I am new on Linux too. Many years ago I worked a little bit on Unix. For the past two years I worked mainly Win XP and OS400 (AS400 from IBM).

Several months ago I started to work on linux Debian but I let it down because I found it not very friendly.

I installed Mandrakelinux 10.1 two weeks ago on an old PIII (That I bought in 1996 with Win 98, 64 Mo RAM and 10 Go HD).

I had some problems to install it because I wanted to install all groups (servers...) and the graphical interface (DKE).

I then joined mandrakeusers.org to have some help. It was very useful to have quick responses. Even when the solution is not provided it helps very much because it motivates to go forward looking for the solution and not to abandone.

The solution was to upgrade the RAM (I added 256 Mo) and to change the graphical board.

Since then I enjoy very much myself with mandrakelinux. I find it very powerful (servers, services and applications all in one), stable, robust and precieusly friendly with its graphical interface (DKE).

I highly recommend you to install the official version 10.1 with its graphical interface (DKE).

Bye.

i also recommend the 10.1 OE version for now. as LE2005 is only available from mandriva directly and not as a download iso right now, you should grab the 10.1 OE cds and try mandriva. if you like it, you can directly upgrade to 2005. if you don't like it, you won't have spent money in vain (except for bandwidth and cds).

if you encounter any problems with mandriva, don't be shy and ask us EVERYTHING you want to know/learn. And if things do not work the way you want, don't loose your patience. some things still need some tweaking in linux-distros. but most things can be accomplished with the help of this board. and once everything works, you will love your linux-distro.

for your interest: it took me roughly six months to learn enough about linux in order to dump windows. so, take your time...

and good luck to you :)

Thanks guy for the tips. I installed 10.1 and it works perfectly. I installed a few applications and have everything working perfectly. I am starting to learn a few things in Linux!!!!

All that said, I think I will try and install Mandriva 2005. From what I've read, my /home partition wont get touched so I can always go back to 10.1 if I like.

THanks everyone for helping make everything easier!!!

nice to hear about your enthusiasm. :)

and if you run into problems or have general questions about linux etc. we will gladly give you all the answers and advice you need. :D