Uninstalling mandrake

Michael_C15

you mean, you made a dual boot , mdk + XP, and now, you can still boot to your xp and want to get rid of mndk? if you want to make a fresh install, when prompted either to upgrade or install, you should choose Install ( this is during mandrake installation ) then make sure you format those /home and / directory.

If you only want to get rid those menu that appears when you boot, those that you installed in the disk MBR (LILO or GRUB), boot with your xp cd and choose R = repair then issue the command fixmbr

btw, try to post your main problem, I think reinstalling or uninstalling mandrake is not your main concern, so, try to elaborate what really is your problem after you have installed mandrake, lots of guys here are always open and willing to help :)

aioshin's response didn't seem wuite clear to me, so here's what I get from your post, and what I think you need to do.

First, you REALLY need to include a little more info, it's really not clear what is wrong with your computer or what you want.

I'm gathering from your post that you have installed mandrake in a dual boot setup, and encountered problems. You then tried to correct those problems by installing mandrake again, but they are still there, and now, you want to remove mandarke completely so that you can make a clean install. At the same time, since you're dual booting, you can't do anything that will hurt windows.

If I'm right, read on. If I'm wrong, correct me now.

Anyway, my first and best advice is this. Stop dual booting. Dual booting is the WORST way to learn a new OS. Windows becomes a crutch that prevent's you from ever learning. Of course, if you stop dual booting just because I said that, you'll be the first person to ever listen.

My advice that answers your question directly, is this. Just reinstall as aioshin suggested, and when proptem for install or upgrade, choose install. Then, when you get to section of the instalation that asks you which partitions you want to format, format every partition EXCEPT your windows partition. That will do the trick.

If that doesn't solve things, then the issue is bigger. Probably either bad instalation media, or incompatible hardware. Come back after you've tried, and let me know ow it goes. There's enough knowledge held by the member of this board, that if linux 'can' work on your system, we can help you get there. All you need is patience.

Okay well first i couldnt get konqueror to open anymore and im not sure what i did to mess it up so i got on the internet and searched around and someone said they deleted there username and remade it to correct the problem, well i tried that and then i couldnt even log on to mandrake anymore. So i just booted from the mandrake CD and did the upgrade, that let me log in to mandrake again but konqueror still didnt work. I already tried doing the regular install again by letting mandrake format the two linux partitions but it still didnt work. Sorry for not giving enough information in my first post.

Edited by Michael_C15

were you able to connect to the internet already using mdk? if yes, maybe you shoud try to upgrade your packages, you may try the gui way, open MCC, software, upgrade OR

open console, as root, type drakrpm-update, its the same with the first option, then you will be ask for a mirrors or source of updates, try to choose one, then do the updates, it may solve your konque probs...

The drakerpm-update command didnt work :( As for connecting to the internet isnt the problem,

its not drakerpm, its drakrpm, well if drakrpm does'nt work, try the mandrakecontrol center, software upgrade :angry: :P

Konqueror wont open at all unless opening the terminal and logging into root and typing konqueror. Thanks for replying though  :thanks:

maybe you should also try to check the security level, maybe it was set to high, that's why you cant use konque as regular user, go to MCC, security, then level check, try the standard level

Edited by aioshin

the file you were looking to delete for kde is a hidden file in your home directory named .kde

notice the "." in front of kde, this is the file you needed to delete and then restart X not your profile

make a backup of your .kde file and put it somewhere safe then delete the original .kde file and restart X