ATI Remote Wonder

Guest AdrianVeidt

Guest AdrianVeidt

I'm done installing Mandriva LE 2005, and Adam; Great OS! This is a home run, no question.

Now, to bidnez. I have never been able to get the Ati Remote to do much of anything, although for some reason on 10.1 it did duplicate basic mouse functions. The module is loaded at startup, and its config directory is /sys/modules/ati_remote, if I'm not mistaken. I found a sample config file online with detailed button information that looks really impressive, but I can't replace the file already there, or edit it (channel_mask) presumably because of permissions (I'm using su mode, but no luck). I'd just like some info if anybody has it, on how to make the thing work, so that it works like it does on swinedows. Thanks!

What module are you using? Lirc_something? Just put the config in /home/<your name>/ as a hidden file (with a . ) in front of it. That overrules the system settings.

If it is ir-kb-i2c or something the config is in /etc (with all the other configs). You can edit these files with vi. Open a console, log in as root and type: vi /path to/name of config. Hit i to edit the file, esc to stop editing and :x to save and exit.

Good luck.

Guest AdrianVeidt

The module is ati_remote. Thanks for the help, but it didn't work, possibly because my config file is ineffectual. What sort of material should be in such a file?

Try lirc instead. Check if your remote works with lirc 0.66 that comes with mandrake then you can install the mandrake rpm. If not install the source (lirc.org).

From source short howto (it's very simple):

untar the source

cd to lirc folder

./setup.sh

make

su root

make install

depmod -ae

modprobe lirc_name of the module

lircd

exit root

irw

press some buttons on your remote to check if you got output

if it works find a lircrc for your remote and put it in /home/your name

Good luck.

Guest AdrianVeidt

I did as instructed. I removed the ati_remote module first and installed the lirc rpm. then I executed the commands you specified. No response from the remote. It's an RF remote, not infrared, so perhaps lirc wouldn't work with it.