Connecting to the internet

Guest Daddy_Cool

Guest Daddy_Cool

Hi! This is my first linux installation and I was wondering if someone could help me hooking it up to the net.

I have mandrake 10 and a 3com ethernet card. The connection goes through a router to an adsl modem so we can share the internet.

I have tried drackconnect to set up a new LAN network configuration and I think this has worked as I can ping the modem and the network monitor shows recieving and sending packets. However when I press the connect button for the internet it will either stop after two .'s in the status bar. Or will connect then drop the connection after about 5 seconds.

I also can't reach the admin page of my adsl modem, which I thought would be possible if the network is working ok. (Everything works fine in windows so the actual equipment is ok).

DHCP is enabled if that is any help.

Also please could someone explain what a ZeroConf Hostname is and what it does?

Thanks for any help!

ZeroConf is a networking protocol which you're not supposed to need to configure, a ZeroConf hostname is then likely to be the name of the machine on the ZeroConf net.

Which connect to internet button are you pressing? Something in the router?

Guest Daddy_Cool

Thanks for the replys!

is there some kind of configuration tool in your router which automatically dials up the adsl?

I am not sure what you mean, the router just splits up the connection so i can share it with my mates it doesn't effect the modem. But the modem will have to dial something to connect to the adsl when it is first switched on, just like any other adsl modem. The internet is available when I try to connect if that helps - my friends will be scanning it on their windoze boxes while I am trying to configure linux. Sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick.

Which connect to internet button are you pressing? Something in the router?
The one on the eth0 tab in the "connection monitor" box on the mandrake network and internet section.

Thanks for your help :)

Edited by Daddy_Cool

Do you have the make and model of the router, it might make things easier to diagnose.

My experience with routers is generally that they handle any connection to the modem and you just use the network they provide, I guess I've been lucky!

Guest Daddy_Cool

Yep its a D-Link DSL-504

Encapsulation - PPPoA LLC, DHCP is enabled. It works fine with windows, I am just thinking that my settings might be wrong in the network configuration for mandrake...

Is there any diagnostic commands I can run from the command line on linux?

It seems like if your madrakelinux box has the same IP adress of another box in the network.

Your DHCP server (the modem. But I guess it is in fact a router) is set up for howmany IP adresses ?

How many IP adresses are already used in the nerwork ?

You can go to see this (into the webpage of your modem) with a browser of a XP box.

Ciao