Weird alsa problem with emu10k1

Guest apotropaic

Guest apotropaic

Hello everybody, first time poster hear with a troubling sound card issue. I have noticed many people with sound card issues but mine seems to have the right drivers and they seem to be loading correctly. I am running this on Mandrake 10.1 (Mandriva now I guess). I have a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 MP3+. It has the EMU10k1 chipset and '#lspci |grep audio' reads:

Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07) :wall:

So all that is good. When I lsmod I get this:

snd-pcm-oss            49320  0

snd-mixer-oss          17472  1 snd-pcm-oss

snd-emu10k1            94408  0

snd-rawmidi            19520  1 snd-emu10k1

snd-pcm                80680  2 snd-pcm-oss,snd-emu10k1

snd-seq-device          7020  2 snd-emu10k1,snd-rawmidi

snd-timer              20420  2 snd-emu10k1,snd-pcm

snd-ac97-codec        69392  1 snd-emu10k1

snd-page-alloc          7432  2 snd-emu10k1,snd-pcm

snd-util-mem            3232  1 snd-emu10k1

snd-hwdep              7040  1 snd-emu10k1

snd                    47556  9 snd-pcm-oss, snd-mixer-oss, snd-emu10k1, snd-rawmidi,snd-pcm,snd-seq-device,snd-timer,snd-ac97-codec,snd-hwdep

soundcore              7008  1 snd

:wall:

so all seems to be loaded correctly. But when I try something like alsamixer I get this error:

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory :wall:

And when running alsaconf, it detects the correct driver (emu10k1) and it all goes smoothly til the end when it says something like, I will now setup your volume level and unmute your channels and it gets an error message when it tries to configure the mixer and when it tried to 'alsactl store' that gave an error msg also, saying:

alsactl: save_state:1194: No soundcards found...:wall:

As you can see.. I'm a little lost. The other thing I did was 'rmmod' all the snd related modules and then I did 'modprobe emu10k1'. And even though it gave no error messages, the dmesg output this at the very bottom:

Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.20a, 12:45:31 Oct  1 2004

PCI: Found IRQ 12 for device 0000:00:0d.0

PCI: Sharing IRQ 12 with 0000:00:13.2

emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 7 model 0x8061 found, IO at 0xd400-0xd41f, IRQ 12

ac97_codec: AC97  codec, id:  (Unknown) :wall:

So if there is anybody who can help me out with Alsa that would be great. I had heard my card was great card for linux. Oh and and my alsa version is 1.0.8. Not the one that comes with Mandrake 10.1. Thanks for any help and advance!

Guest apotropaic
Then it probably a conflict between the new alsa and the mandrake kernel (or did you build your own). How did you install everything?

You could try another kernel to see if that solves it.

Thanks for the reply devires... I am on a second kernel. The original kernel/drivers that came on Mandrake 10.1 didn't work so I upgraded the kernel using RPMs to a newer kernel, and everything still worked but the soundcard. So I uninstalled the RPM for alsa and did a manual install of Alsa 1.0.8 that I downloaded from their website. It was newer then what was built into the mandrake kernels. Could an IRQ conflict cause this? It is a bit of an older computer, didn't older computer used to have this problem? It uses pc133 memory. But it is an Athlon XP 2000+, so I guess its not that old. The only reason I ask this is because of the dmesg output:

PCI: Found IRQ 12 for device 0000:00:0d.0

PCI: Sharing IRQ 12 with 0000:00:13.2

The other device that it is sharing that IRQ with is my usb ports. I am using a USB mouse & keyboard. Any suggestions?