netconf - applying changes only works after restart

Guest itti

sometimes i have to change settings like ip adress for eth0 and default route with netconf. -> netconf tells me that something has to be done to apply the changes and is say "do it". after that netconf tells me that there have been some errors and asks me if i want to see the logs. i'm using 9.0. i have to reboot then for the changes to take affect. in 8.2 i think this worked without a reboot. :(

i've no problem modyfying files by hand i just don't know what files i have to change. And i'm sure there must be a script to restart the whole networking thing somewhere in /etc . Can someone help me please.

If i have to change the default route for example i'm able to use the route command but this only lasts until i reboot.

I stumbled across a doc at Redhat's site which said that if u wanted to restart all the network interfaces u had to type: network restart and press enter :D

If it doesn't work try restart network, and if it still doesn't go to Rh and look at the Rh8 docs.

ah i just found it, its /etc/init.d/network you can start, stop or restart all network interfaces configured to start at boot with this script.

ok and the configuration scripts the network script refers to are in /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts i think.

• 2 months later...

If you are using Mdk9, you can try Mandrake Control Center.

In Network section, you can start/stop interface and make some change to your config ( such as changing adresse, netmask...)

I used this in a small netwok and it working fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mandrake

8) After you've made your changes in netconf and done the 'do it' and exited netconf, or if you manually edited your own files you have to restart the network services like this:

service network restart