Can't do a Hard Drive install

klipp

Neither the boot iso cd nor the boot floppy for installing from a hard drive directory will install.

It dies looking for something in /install/stage2/ and lists the 4 files in the stage2 directory. It appears its looking for an .iso file. Need an explaination as to how to install 2005 when the directories and .rpm's have been downloaded from a mirror. I spent 2 days downloading all this stuff and it appears there's no way to install it.

Thanks for any solutions. Its gotta be something I'm doing wrong!

Guest Willard1975

I'm also kinda stuck.

I downloaded the entire tree (8.5GB) only to find out that the 'hd_grub.img" doesn't work if you have the install files on a ntfs partition. Being a Mandrake user since 1997 that really surprised me. But i don't remember ever trying a hd install from ntfs before....Oh well.

As for the 'boot.iso' file, after i burned the file the cd boots but fails directly with a checksum error. Checked the md5 and there is nothing wrong with the file.

Read a post here about creating a DVD/CDs with the files from the tree. But that was for the old directory structure when the files was still in the RPMS directories.

Only thing left now is either wait for the public iso release or upload all the files to my other linux box and do a network install from there.

/Willard.

The boot.iso works fine, it just is not capable of installing from the .rpm's it apparantly will only install from an .iso. This is starting to look like Mandrake is intentionally making it next to impossible for people to install from the mirrors, so that they will be forced to join their club -- kinda sick!! I too have been using Mandrake virtually since their inception, but looks like its time to change distributions.

Hey willard 1975, could you let loose with a little more information as to how to do a network install from my local LAN, I'm stuck behind a commercial ISP's firewall and have 4 box's on a private LAN with I.P.'s in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range. Could I actually installl by putting all these directories & .rpm's on another box?

Thanks for any ideas.

you're just, uh, doing it the wrong way around if you just want to install from a remote mirror. You don't have to download everything locally, you just download boot.iso, boot from it, tell it you want to do a network install and point it at a mirror.

Having said that, there should be _some_ way to make it work from a complete downloaded tree, but I've never done it so I don't know how, sorry.

I'm not using a NTFS partition, I've tried both FAT32 & ext2 -- neither work.

I'm doing as adamw suggested, as I'm typing this reply, and so far its working -- ungodly slow with a 1meg broadaband connection! I'm about halfway there and have had 5 different packages that blew off during their install. Probably won't work when I try to boot it.

Guest Willard1975

This is really getting annoying. As i mentioned in my earlier post, i uploaded the entire tree to my other linux box to do a network install from there, was curious about the "Limited Edition" so i just had to do it. Made the boot disks for a network install and got this message when i tried booting:

Could not find ramdisk image: cdrom.rdz

I never got that message the last time i did a network install. There's something fishy about this release. Seems i'm stuck again.

Hey willard 1975, could you let loose with a little more information as to how to do a network install from my local LAN, I'm stuck behind a commercial ISP's firewall and have 4 box's on a private LAN with I.P.'s in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range. Could I actually installl by putting all these directories & .rpm's on another box?

Thanks for any ideas.

Certainly, as long as you have all the files needed, and that there are no firewall or other restricting software on that private host. You need an ftp server on it though.

/Willard.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done an hd install of 2005 LE from downloaded isos extracted to hard drive. I have been doing this for several years and, although the hd_grub image has changed a little, the basic procedure has been like the one in this -> Howto.

whatever. I see people asking how to do something; I see people saying there is some sort of underhanded thing going on about the Club; I know it can be done. I have done it. Many times. No problems. There might be easier ways but I don't know of them. I have practiced a method that has worked for years and don't feel much need to find another one because whiners can't be bothered to apply themselves. It takes a little effort. It takes a bit of effort to write the howto and a bit more to make a post about it. There seem to be more and more trolls to deal with and that really doesn't justify the effort, does it?

[edited by spinynorman]

It would be nice, if before sounding off, you would understand what you are talking about. Nobody is having problems installing from .iso files. The problem is installing from the complete downloaded tree, using either the boot.iso file or the boot floppy from the distribution. And as "adamw" stated above, and he apparantly represents Mandrake, this should be possible but he didn't know how to accomplish it.

It would be nice, if before sounding off, you would understand what you are talking about. Nobody is having problems installing from .iso files.  The problem is installing from the complete downloaded tree, using either the boot.iso file or the boot floppy from the distribution. And as "adamw" stated above, and he apparantly represents Mandrake, this should be possible but he didn't know how to accomplish it.

I've used rsync numerous times and fmirror a few to mirror the cooker or other ftp trees to my hard drive. FYI, once the tree is there, whether by extracting isos, or by mirroring the tree, hd_install proceeds in the same fashion.

Yeah. I can definitely say we're not intentionally making this impossible in order to make money, or something :). I just don't know how to do it exactly as it's not something I've ever done myself (I always use CD or network install).

Thanks for the reply "adamw", I think I'm slowly getting it figured out and will have a solution in the near future. Meanwhile, the network install (after I finally got all my "ducks in a row") works GREAT.

You guys got a lot of bugs to fight in this release, but when you've killed them all, you WILL have the best Linux distribution on the market.