Sound Problems

Guest jghat

When I make the shortcut described it works, then when the machine is rebooted or restarted the shortcut becomes a directory and has to be deleted then the process done again. Any ideas on how to prevent that from happening? Problem below. Thank you.

When I do the following to resolve my sound problems it works UNTIL I reboot then I have to do it all over again. It turns the short cut outlined below into a directory which the sound server can not open. The directory is empty and the shortcut is gone. Any suggestions? Else I'll live with it until 9.1 comes out and I'll reload the whole thing. I've posted my original question with the fix for reference.

Here is the instruction someone gave me to create a short cut to the dsp in dev/sound. I don't know why this didn't show up in the original post I thought it was there but I must not have pasted it as I thought.

ln -s /dev/sound/dsp /dev/dsp <enter>

However the problem is /dev/dsp literally comes and then disappears. I've tried re-creating dsp and sometimes that works.

I can only make the soft link to /dev/sound from dev. When I take out the -s an error comes up that I can not do it. Interestingly enough logged in as root all the time while trying, I can not copy the dsp from dev/sound to the /dev directory permission denied! Any other suggestions? Thanks much.

[root@laptop dev]# ln /dev/sound/dsp /dev/dsp

ln: creating hard link `/dev/dsp' to `/dev/sound/dsp': Operation not permitted

[root@laptop dev]#

-------

Here is the error, if I make it ln -s it works! I also can not copy the dsp from sound out to the /dev directory same error.

Thank you for your help.