Login problem [solved]

Guest derekf

Guest derekf

Hi,

I installed mandrake from one cd & the rest of the packages from iso's on the hard drive.

All worked fine until reboot.

The login screen accepts the password, flickers to black & reappears, I think 4 times.

I then get a non gui login.

I can get kde to run as root, but not as a normal user.

I'm guessing the x desktop is not starting or at least not starting properly.

Any ideas, or should I flatten the installation & re load the OS?

Thanks.

try removing the config files of your user in the /home directory (e.g. /home/username/.kde) and try to log in again. if it happens again, please post the output of the xsession-errors file in your /home directory.

• 4 weeks later...

I am also having this problem , however after a quick search I came up with this post and solution. Trouble is it keeps hapening and the only fix I can seem to come up with is the one in this post. I seem to have to kill all the contents of the user directory then reboot and it's fixed. This is hapening about every 3 days or so with no paticular pattern, also related (maybe) to the problem is my inittab seems to change its mind about runlevel 3 or 5 , does anyone have a possible permanent solution? I just moved to mandrake/mandriva from Fedora3 because I cant stand gnome anymore but I tell ya gnome and the seemingly trouble free operation of Fedora looks pretty good right now. I love KDE but I cant set up my user account all over again every three days. Anyhow I'm going off on a rant so I'll stop, any solutions here?

I'm getting the same problem - but the solutions offered above do not work for me. I can use Mandriva's own DM login screen but it's pretty ugly and I'd like ot be abe to use the KDM login screen. I rename /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc file to get the KDM log in. In this I can neither log in as root nor user, and cannot login to any DE (KDE, Gnome, IceWM or failsafe).

I've tried searching the web for ideas - e.g. renamed my home/user/.kde directory with no success.

Don

Have you installed the KDE-KDM package at some time ???

If you have then and later uninstalled it you will find that the theme has still been left behind. The KDM theme icon will not be in Kde Look & Feel so you can no longer gain access to the theme to get rid of it.

I tried for two days to sort out this problem then I twigged on reinstalling the KDM-theme package. this brought up the icon in Kde-Look & Feel again and sure enough the theme was shown. As I selected the remove theme selection, I noticed something I had not noticed before...........There was an option at the bottom left of the window to remove it from the Hard drive. I ticked the option and went on to do a re-login. Eureka...... This was the answer. I once again had the original KDM login so I went ahead and uninstalled the KDM-theme package.

Now I once more enjoy my KDE-kdm login panel as I set it up in my settings in Kde Control Centre ---> System ---> Login Manager.

Regarding the choice to reboot or restart when logging out. Open KDE Control Centre ----> Components -----> Session Manager. Second from the top is the option to .... Offer Shutdown Options. Put a tick in it and click APPLY.

From then on you will have that option when ever you log out.

Hope this helps. John.