Webcam advice

hugerobot

Well, it seems that webcam troubleshooting is either too hard, too boring, (or I'm too stupid) for anyone to help. Also, I posted quite a bit of technical gobbledygook in my last post on this subject (see: this), and if I would have seen that I probably would have said "Hmmm... isn't there a poll or something I can answer?" and hoped someone else could help.

So, I have concluded that I once again have purchased an unsupported webcam, and want to go buy another one that will hopefully work (3rd time's a charm!) I have based this conclusion on the following dmesg info:

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/2/3, assigned device number 9

usb.c: USB device 9 (vend/prod 0x41e/0x400d) is not claimed by any active driver.

That is what happens when I plug the webcam into the usb port.

This time, I am simply asking for advice. I just want to make sure that the next one I buy will work.

What webcams are you people using? I don't want to spend much (30-50 USD).

Also, if there was a trick to getting your cam working, I'd appreciate that info as well, in case I buy your model...

Thanks in advance!

Rob

I am not the right person to give advise but...

If you search for:

Linux Webcam Compatibility

There are hundreds of websites working on it. There are hundreds of supported camers, and I would choose one of those. Unfortunately not all use standard communication protocols.

http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/ has the quicktime express camera drivers for linux, and also have a few links on other sites providing support for others.

Also, GnomeMeeting says:

Every camera supported by the Linux kernel and compatible with the Video4Linux API (Philips webcams, Creative webcams, and many others...)

Try them.

Sorry I can't help a lot more

Thanks for the advice, (and the quick response!)

But I have done that.

In fact most of the information I have found on Google is outdated (circa 2000...) and many of the links are broken.

The Mandrake Hardware Compatability chart lists a Creative Webcam Go as 'tested'. The cam I have now is a Creative webcam (sans Go) and apparently different enough that it doesn't work.

So, I'm hoping to find someone who uses Mandrake 9.0, and has a working webcam, and can tell me the make and model so I can buy one.

Thanks again.