PHP question [solved]

Im trying to find the answer to this, i should know the answer but i cant seem to find it anywhere but that may be me having a dumb moment. Here is the problem

I have created a script to modify fields in a database if form fields have been entered.

Eg i have four fields username, password, name, and and id number called hemisnumber. If a field has been filled in i want it to update the database but if nothing has been put in i want it to skip changing it so i dont end up changingfields to blank space.

This is the section of script that changes the database:

CODE

if ($_POST[hemisNumberNew])

{

$update = "UPDATE users SET hemisNumber = '$_POST[hemisNumberNew]' WHERE hemisNumber = '$_POST[hemisNumberOld]'";

$hemisResult = @mysql_query($update,$connection) or die (mysql_error());

}

if ($_POST[password])

{

$update = "UPDATE users SET password = '$_POST[password]' WHERE hemisNumber = '$_POST[hemisNumberOld]'";

$passwordResult = @mysql_query($update,$connection) or die (mysql_error());

}

if ($_POST[name])

{

$update = "UPDATE users SET name = '$_POST[name]' WHERE hemisNumber = '$_POST[hemisNumberOld]'";

$nameResult = @mysql_query($update,$connection) or die (mysql_error());

}

if ($_POST[courseCode])

{

$update = "UPDATE users SET courseCode = '$_POST[courseCode]' WHERE hemisNumber = '$_POST[hemisNumberOld]'";

$courseCodeResult = @mysql_query($update,$connection) or die (mysql_error());

}

However the problem with this is that if i fill in more than one field it will only change the first field and not any of the others. So how do i get it to run each statement if there is a value in that field.

If you want to see what i mean the page is at http://www.housedarus.co.uk/ECE/admin/users.php login using userName admin password = password.

thanks for your help i found the problem the other day but forgot to post it. Reward to paul, the only guy on any forum i posted on who obviously realised my flawed logic in this code.

I solved it by performing the hemis update last although i have to say you suggestion is a better solution. Ill try to implement it unfortunatly im fast running out of time on this uni project.