My Laptop doesn't shutdown properly [solved]

Murda

Hi.

I have a problem with laptop shutdown. When i log out from KDE and when it asks if i want to shutdown or reboot, i choose shutdown. The system normally kills all processes and prepares to shutdown. But at the end i get this:

Unmounting file systems:                              [  OK  ]

Unmounting proc file system:                        [  OK  ]

Halting system...

md: stopping all md devices.

md: md0 switched to read-only mode.

Shutdown: hda

Power down.

Then the system just halts. All this remains there on the screen but nothing happens.

I've already tried some things related to ACPI (read from these forums and thought it would be a solution for this but it isn't).

What can i do? And where should i look for?

This isn't so important as i can shutdown it manually (pressing the power button) but i think it isn't the way it is meant to be done.

Edited by Murda

I have a problem with laptop shutdown.

... and that's a ThinkPad, right? Many of those who report this problem own ThinkPads. First off, try passing options noapic nolapic to the kernel at boot time. Second, try apm instead of acpi with those options. Third, you may need to try other kernel. I fixed the problem by switching from an enterprise kernel to a standard one). Check the kernel version by running uname -r. Fourth, if it's thinkpad indeed, check http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/.../linux-thinkpad

Third, you may need to try other kernel. I fixed  the problem by switching from an enterprise kernel to a standard one).  Check the kernel version by running uname -r.

No, not Thinkpad. Toshiba Satellite 4300 Series. And uname -r says 2.6.8.1-12mdkenterprise. I'm sorry that i didn't mention my laptop before. But do i have any other option than changing the kernel? I'm not a professional with Linux and i think that kernel changing would be too hard for me. Maybe i continue shutting down my laptop manually if someone doesn't have any other solution for this.

Edited by Murda

I have a toshiba laptop also, and I don't have any shutdown problems.

I do have acpi and apcid activated, then add module "toshiba-acpi" in my /etc/modprobe.conf. If I don't have those three things activated, I will have the same issues during shutdown. Try it, maybe it works.

I have a toshiba laptop also, and I don't have any shutdown problems.

I do have acpi and apcid activated, then add module "toshiba-acpi" in my /etc/modprobe.conf. If I don't have those three things activated, I will have the same issues during shutdown. Try it, maybe it works.

I had no acpi or acpid running there, just had them installed. But when i activated them (default configuration) and set them to start at boot, my laptop didn't start KDE anymore. Screen was just black and nothing happened. I disabled them and all works just fine again, except that shutdown thing. Maybe we consider this one solved and i just continue shutting it down manually?

No, not Thinkpad. Toshiba Satellite 4300 Series. And uname -r says 2.6.8.1-12mdkenterprise. I'm sorry that i didn't mention my laptop before. But do i have any other option than changing the kernel? I'm not a professional with Linux and i think that kernel changing would be too hard for me. Maybe i continue shutting down my laptop manually if someone doesn't have any other solution for this.

Oops, my mistake... Nonetheless, I agree with SoulSe, the enterprise kernel could be the cause of the problem with shutdown. Switching to another kernel is much easier than getting acpi to work :D. A nonenterprise kernel is most likely installed on your laptop. Go to the directory /boot and look for the file vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk and other vmlinuz-* files. Post the list here, and someone will guide you through.

Ok, vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk is installed. That's the kernel you will have to use instead of vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdkenterprise. It will also help if you run ls -l /boot in the terminal and post here the output. Also, post the content of the file /etc/lilo.conf.

By the way, since you had trouble with acpi and acpid..., what do you use for power management? To find out, open the terminal, login as root (run su, then type in the root password), and run these commands

service acpid status

service apmd status

Ok, my lilo.conf here:

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot

# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

default="linux-enterprise"

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

keytable=/boot/fi-latin1.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent acpi=ht"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-enterprise

label="linux-enterprise"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd-enterprise.img

append="resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent acpi=ht"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"

read-only

and i'm using apmd. acpid is not running.

What does ls -l /boot/ show? vmlinuz should point to vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk, and vmlinuz-enterprise should point to vmlinuz-enterprise-2.6.8.1-12mdkenterprise.

Now try this... Boot the laptop by choosing "linux" from the boot menu. Then check what kernel is running by typing uname -k. Can you shutdown the laptop?

If not, backup the file /etc/lilo.conf. Make sure, you have the installation CD or a resque floppy, just in case. Login as root and edit /etc/lilo.conf. You will need to append the following lines at the end of this file. You can cut and paste them, then edit as follows:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk
label="linux-test"
root=/dev/hda1
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img
append="nolapic noapic resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent acpi=off"
vga=788
read-only

Make sure the content of "append=..." appears as one single line, some editors break it in two lines. Save, exit.

As root, run ther command lilo -v. Watch for errors. If there are any, do not reboot until you fix errors. Each time you modify /etc/lilo.conf, run lilo -v. If you have no errors, reboot and choose the new option. If anything goes wrong, you should still be able to boot using one of the other options. Again, check what kernel is running, i.e. run uname -k. Now try shutdown.

Edited by coverup

Thanks, this solved my problem. I didn't even know that they are different kernels listed there on lilo. :)

But now my Laptop shuts down like it should when i choose that "Linux" option in lilo. Only bad thing here is that my machine starts slower now. On mdkenterprise it was like 1min, now it is like 2. But i think i can live with that. :)

Thanks to you all who helped me out.

There could be several reasons for slow boot. It could be that the new kernel loads some additional modules, or maybe, it does not use all available resourses which causes the laptop to slow down. For instance, if you have more than 1G RAM, the standard kernel can only use up to 800+something Mb.