First Kernel Upgrade, A few problems

Okay,

I did my first kernel upgrade since I have been using linux today. I just used urpmi to get and install the kernels. (maybe I messed up doing that) I have installed now Kernel 2.6.7-1.mm.7mdk and the newest for mandrake (this one I installed by rpm) 2.6.8.1.12mdk.

If I boot up to 2.6.7 it boots wonderfull. I get to GDM and login, this is where it sits for about 5 minutes then it logs into KDE just fine.

If I boot up using the 2.6.8.1.12mdk it will hand on the "doing alsactl to restore mixer settings" it even shows OK beside it in the verbose mode but it will not go any further.

Any suggestions to either one of these problems?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Which version of MDK are you using? Those kernels are from 10.1; if you're using an earlier version, problems when using the kernel from a later version are usual and we can't really support that (too many variables). If you're on 10.1, let's press on. :) How long did you wait on the main kernel? Give it ten minutes at least, sometimes the boot process can get stuck on something for a _very_ long time when something is wrong, but not actually have frozen completely.

OK, I let it sit at the "Doing alsactl to restore mixer settings [OK]" for 45 minutes already and nothing. Do you think whatever it is starting next is having the problems? I says the alsactl restore mixer settings is OK like it completed that. This happens on the latest Kernel. I can still boot to the old one, it just sits for 5 minutes before it actually logs in to KDE.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Of course, now I'm trying to remember what happens after ALSA :)

Check the logs after you boot to multimedia kernel - see if anything is telling you why it's crashing. (Hey, it's nice to dream). /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog are the files to look at. What kernel did you use previously? -10mdk?

Ok these are the entries from yesterday from syslog were it freezes.

Apr 12 13:42:58 dhcppc5 kernel: PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.5 to 64
Apr 12 13:42:58 dhcppc5 kernel: intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 49580 usecs
Apr 12 13:42:58 dhcppc5 kernel: intel8x0: clocking to 48000
Apr 12 13:42:58 dhcppc5 alsa:  succeeded
Apr 12 13:43:00 dhcppc5 alsa: Doing alsactl to restore mixer settings: succeeded[/QUOTE]

Then I let it sit like you suggested and of course rebooted so the next entry

[CODE]pr 12 14:46:01 dhcppc5 shutdown: shutting down for system reboot
Apr 12 14:46:01 dhcppc5 init: Switching to runlevel: 6

It even says succedded on logs.

Now this is what a succesfull boot one of my kernels.

Apr 12 14:47:04 dhcppc5 alsa:  succeeded
Apr 12 14:47:05 dhcppc5 alsa: Doing alsactl to restore mixer settings: succeeded
Apr 12 14:47:05 dhcppc5 sound: Loading mixer settings succeeded
Apr 12 14:47:06 dhcppc5 xfs: xfs startup succeeded

Any suggestions now, lol?

Edited by Maxplayer14

Does 10.1 have different versions of modutils for 2.4 and 2.6 series kernels?

Don't know, but I do know I can boot sorta fine (besides a stall at GDM login) with kernel 2.6.7-1.mm.7mdk. That is the one I am currenlty booting to, although that one problem with that, but that is x related not kernel related like my bigger problem.