K3b not backing-up data:

ChrisM

I'm not able to back any data to CDRW's using K3B.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled; I've cleaned the the lens of my writer; K3B recognises my model (Its a Samsung combi 304B (CDRW/DVD-R))as a reader/writer. I've not had a problem before with mdk9.2/10 I'm currently running 10.1

After selecting the data to backup, and selecting burn (and I've tried a combination of speed/multisessions etc) I'm getting this error warning:

mkisofs did not exit cleanly

OPC failed. Probably the writer does not like the medium.

Sometimes I just get 'OPC failed. Probably the writer does not like the medium'

I've not used these discs with this writer before (Packard Bell CDRWs) - why would my reader/writer not like them?

I've just tested the media using my partners machine (different burner) I am able to backup data - though there was an initial error (254?) I was able to back up data.

So, before i go out to the shops - is there anything else i can try, or is it really just a case of hit and miss with my purchases?

I've googled, looked here at MUB, read thru the K3B Help - but I'm none the wiser

Edited by ChrisM

I'm still unable to burn a CD using KIIIB.

I'm still mostly getting an OPC error suggesting my reader doesn't like the media - though I've tried 2 lots now :angry:

I've cleaned the lens; uninstalled/reinstalled KIIIB; and then uninstalled and reinstalled via urpmi.

I know the media is OK cos it works just fine with KIIIB on my partners linuxbox.

The error suggests its a hardware thing but my combi has been able to burn using KIIIB and these media before (with 9.2 and I think 10). Other than not writing (which I hope is a temporary glitch), it still reads and plays music.

I've googled looked around here and LQ but still I'm non the wiser.

Has anyone here gone thru this and overcome?

K3B has severe problems with kernel 2.6.8, and minor ones with 2.6.9.

All I can suggest is getting a newer 2.6.10 or 2.6.11 .src.rpm from 10.2/2005LE or Cooker, and make a fitting kernel for your system with "rpm --rebuild kernel-blah.src.rpm". It will take some time and CPU cycles.

K3B has severe problems with kernel 2.6.8, and minor ones with 2.6.9.

All I can suggest is getting a newer 2.6.10 or 2.6.11 .src.rpm from 10.2/2005LE or Cooker, and make a fitting kernel for your system with "rpm --rebuild kernel-blah.src.rpm". It will take some time and CPU cycles.

Thanks for this scarecrow - If its a kernel issue, I'm plannning on upgrading to the new 10.2/2005EL so maybe I shall just wait till then - its something I can get dirty with during the forthcoming spring holidays :)

Edited by ChrisM