Mandrake constantly freezes [solved]

Relix3000

Hello. I am having a problem with Mandrake 10.1, I dont now if its the X Server or the actual kernel. Sometimes, randomly every 10 minutes or even 15 hours, Mandrake totally freezes. Numlock wont respond, CTRL+Alt+F5 wont work either. Simply, nothing works except the mouse which I can still move, but thats the only thing and then I need to plug off the PC. Last time it froze a blue line appeared while running FireFox and bang it crashed. And as I typed this, the area where you can select desktops turned totally black and the colors got dissorted. That blank box also covered the lower part of FireFox.

I am running KDE 3.2,

Celeron 566MHZ, 128MB SDRAM, GeForce 2 MX 400 (I am using the generic drivers that Mandrake provides though). One 160GB 7200RPM Maxtor HD with a smaller 9GB 7200 FireBall HD, and the PC is a Dell Dimension L566Cx.

Any clues? Thanks for any help guys!

Well, other OS do work (XP Pro works) and I am using the drivers that come already with Mandrake (not the official ones but some kind of generic drivers) and Ill check what daniewicz said =). Thanks for the replies guys =D.

*Edit: Well, I think the problem MAY lie in KDE. I have been running Gnome for the past 12 hours with no problems so far, doing the usual stuff I do in KDE. If GNOME does crash then I am running the memtest this night.*

*Edit: Well, nvm that. GNOME just crashed. So I guess Ill run the test*

Edited by Relix3000

Ok, I ran Memtest86 and no problems found in the memory. I have been looking in some other forums and NVidia latest Linux driver does the very same thing that is happening to me. Thing is I DONT have that driver installed, its the nv one (or something like that...its open source I think and comes bundled with MK10.1). Could it be the NVidia card? A few minutes ago I was doing a Presentation for my class and MK crashed once more. I could just move the mouse and nothing else responded. I checked syslog and the exact moment of the crash, and all I could see was:

Apr 10 20:01:00 localhost CROND[4787]: (root) CMD (nice -n 19 run-parts /etc/cron.hourly)

Apr 10 20:58:20 localhost syslogd 1.4.1: restart.

So, it isnt being recorded in the logs. But what I have no clue is why that CRON command is running at :01 minutes of every hour. Is that supossed to be there? Any clues?

Whatever happens I am keeping Mandrake, its the best Linux distro for me but I would like to get rid of this little annoyance. Thanks for any answers!

the cron thing is standard; MDK's cron is setup to run a script called cron.hourly every hour, one called cron.daily every day, one called cron.weekly every week, and one called cron.monthly every month. These scripts, in turn, simply execute every script in a given directory. You can find all this stuff under /etc/cron.d/ , IIRC.

Well..I actually thought about doing that but RIGHT now it would be problematic since I am working on other things. But...can I only repair the files of CD #1? I thought i needed to install everything all the CDs over again. But, that means all the stuff I have installed will be deleted right?? Like all the urpmi stuff? Anyway a few minutes ago I took a picture of a weird problem (another one):

http://www.eternal-anime.net/otherimages/snapshot2.jpg. Even though its hardly noticiable, there are some gray lines forming an X that pass over the wallpaper. I am extremely sure this is not part of the wallpaper since I've had that one for a few days and those lines were never there, as well as I have it for WinXP as well. I am guessing maybe the Display Manager is having problems. This is extremely confusing >_<. But I like to solve this kind of stuff =). Another thing to note is that Mandrake has not crashed in the last 12 hours. Anyway, thanks for all the answers and the support. You guys really rock. I guess this kind of support is what sets Mandrake apart from other distros :-D.