playing wmv files

coverup

/usr/lib/win32 (if that folder doesn't exist create it)

Done, no luck :-(. Still get this message

Totem could not play 'file:///home/aaaa/tmp/movie.wmv'.

Reason: Video codec 'Windows Screen Video' is not handled. You might need to install additional plugins to be able to play some types of movies.

Does anything else need be done?

totem reads its own plugin directory under your home, IIRC. I'm not at home right now but it's _something_ like ~/.gnome/totem_addons . Have a look around. When you find that folder, symlink everything in /usr/lib/win32.

I have the dir ~/.gnome2/totem-addons, everything in it is symlinked to /usr/lib/win32/. I definitely did not create those symlinks, except for I clicked "download" when totem suggested I should do so... Nonetheless, the symlinks are there, but totem does not play :devil: :

Reason: Video codec 'Windows Screen Video' is not handled. You might need to install additional plugins to be able to play some types of movies.
Mplayer plays the same file just fine.

• 3 months later...

/usr/lib/win32 (if that folder doesn't exist create it) 

Done, no luck :-(. Still get this message

Totem could not play 'file:///home/aaaa/tmp/movie.wmv'. 

Does anything else need be done?

I just figured this one out on my own (OK, so I am proud of that fact - so shoot me!).

First, why did you manually download the win32 files? Assuming you have urpmi set up, just look for xine-win32 - I already had xine installed, so I don't know if it's actually needed, if is is, go ahead and install it (why not?).

Totem is based on xine, and by default looks for it's plug-ins. Installed the file mentioned above, and xine, mplayer and totem all began to play any and all .wmv files without a hitch (none of them had played all of them before).

Second, firefox only defaults to totem because that is the way you have is set up. Go to "Configure Desktop" -> "Components" -> "File Associations" -> "Video" and alter which player is brought up for which file.