usb card reader sort of working

Guest mrbiggles

Guest mrbiggles

Hello all:

I just bought a D-Link dub-cr100 6-in-1 card reader, and have it sort of working. The story so far: the kernel detects it as a usb mass storage device. The problem is this: I can't access any cards until I first issue the command sg_map. After that normal users can access the card of their choice. What I would like to happen is this: the reader stays plugged in, a card is autodetected and mounted, and an icon pops up in kde, allowing the user to access their photos. I am fairly certain that this can be done, as this is the way my daughter's mp3 player works. I just can't figure out how to do it. Minor note, after running the above command, an icon for a hdd shows up on my desktop. This is good. After the card is removed, the icon stays for 10 to 15 minutes, then dissappears. I would like the icon to appear and dissappear in the same way that the mp3 player does. Can anyone give me any ideas/tips/specific instructions?

I'm running Mandrake 10.0, btw

Thanks

mrBiggles

Edited by mrbiggles

first thing you might try, is simply doing what I do.

1. Leave card reader unplugged.

2. Put card in reader.

3. Plug reader into computer.

That usualy works for me, provided that the cards are formatted with a partition table and not just directly formatted. i.e. they need to show up as /dev/sda1 and not /dev/sda

Of course, if you don't have a USB extension cable or a front USB port, that's not a great way to go.

You might look into manualy changing the hotplug scripts, or doing a litle googleing.

let me know if you find anything, this is what has kept me from using one of those USB card readers that mounts in a lfoppy drive slot

Guest mrbiggles

Hi VeeDubb:

thanks for the info, works well enough. At least I don't have to come running over every time someone has taken a photo or two :-) I'll mess with the hotplug scripts after dinner, and let you know how that goes. (Being a semi-n00b, I'm not getting my hopes up too much)

Cheers,

mrBiggles

Guest mrbiggles

Heh, did I say mess? try translate. I'm afraid that I haven't made any progress whatsoever. (Thank God for making backups) I'm not ready to give up, yet, but this could take a while. Thanks again for the info, at least it's accessible.

Cheers, mrBiggles

• 3 months later...
Guest mrbiggles
You might look into manualy changing the hotplug scripts, or doing a litle googleing.

let me know if you find anything, this is what has kept me from using one of those USB card readers that mounts in a lfoppy drive slot

Hi VeeDub: Just last week I upgraded to Mandriva 2005 LE (download), and surprise! The card reader works out of the box. I just leave it plugged in, and that's it. Cards are un/mounted on the fly, without a hitch. Looks like you might be able to go ahead and get that internal reader you want. (though you might want to test this with the external first)

Cheers! mrBiggles

I find that 2005 LE handles USB storage devices much better than previous version. I have a Nexus USB flash drive that has a problem mounting automaticlaly in previous version (it doesn't unless you restart the computer while plugged in or you go to MCC and run diskdrake). Needless to say that 2005 detected and mount the drive automatically.

Interesting I am also looking into a solution for my Iomega drive. I currently have mandrake 10.1 and I have had such a pain triying to re-configure the drive.

I want to be able to unplug and plug back my iomega drive without Mandrake putting into increment partitions (i.e. 1st time it was sda, second it was sdb third sdc...etc)