Wireless works fine, but....

omcaree

Hey all,

just a quick question that I'm sure will be easily solved. I have a wireless network set up using ndiswrapper and it all works fine (WEP and all). to bring the network up i use

dhclient wlan0

which retrieves an IP from my router. is there any way to set a static IP and bring the network up? I tried using the manage connections and setting a static IP and then using either

ifconfig wlan0 up

or

ifup wlan0

but neither of these bring up the connection.

I'm new to linux so i'm probably doing something obvious wrong, so any help on the matter would be most welcome.

Cheers

Owen Mc

ifup simply a script which executes some commands according to settings found in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0. To change wlan0 from using dhcp to a static IP address, edit that script.

From the command line, login as root (su, password), then open /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 in an editor. Replace

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

to

BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
NETWORK=aaa.bbb.ccc.0

(use your IPADDR address and NETWORK). Save, then restart the network using service network restart . To check if everything is okay run ifconfig, and try to ping your gateway.

Edit: Make sure that the IP address you want to use is within the range set in your DHCP server.

Edit: You can also use Mandrake Control Centre to switch to using a static ip address. Open MCC, then go to Network and Internet Settings, DrakeConnect, double click the wlan0 interface, change the protocol setting from dhcp to static and type in the ip address. Apply settings, and keep your fingers crossed, this should work as well. Just in case, backup /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 first

after editting /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 and restarting the network i have the same problem, the network wont come back up (cant ping anything). I get the same problem when I set the IP from the mandrake control center. I tried setting it to load on boot and restarting my machine, I get an "OK" under "bringing up wlan0" but then when i get into KDE, no such luck, network dead.

I opened /etc/resolv.conf and this contains the correct settings so I cant see this being the problem.

after setting everything back to DHCP it all magically works again. I really cant see where the problem is here.

This isn't a huge problem because the network works fine on DHCP, but i'd like to set it up as static because thats what the rest of my network uses (all windows based i'm affraid :unsure: ).

Any ideas much appreciated, otherwise i'll just live with DHCP

after editting /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 and restarting the network i have the same problem, the network wont come back up (cant ping anything). I get the same problem when I set the IP from the mandrake control center. I tried setting it to load on boot and restarting my machine, I get an "OK" under "bringing up wlan0" but then when i get into KDE, no such luck, network dead.

I opened /etc/resolv.conf and this contains the correct settings so I cant see this being the problem.

after setting everything back to DHCP it all magically works again. I really cant see where the problem is here.

This isn't a huge problem because the network works fine on DHCP, but i'd like to set it up as static because thats what the rest of my network uses (all windows based i'm affraid  :unsure: ).

Any ideas much appreciated, otherwise i'll just live with DHCP

Try using the same static IP address that your box receives from the DHCP server. Also, as root, run ifconfig and route -n and post the output here. Post /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 as well. Somebody may be able to help.