EMU10k1X driver

victorsk

Hello,

I have a problem activating emu10k1x driver. I tried to follow the ALSA instructions to the letter at http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-p...module=emu10k1x but when I boot Mandrake 10.1 Official in verbose mode I get the error:

Loading sound module (snd-emu10k1x) FATAL: Module snd-emu10k1x not found

FATAL: Error running install command for snd-emu10k1x

Also, when I 'run alsaconf' I get: "No supported PnP or PCI card found" and nothing is found for Legacy drivers either.

When I run "alsamixer" I get "alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory"

Does anybody know how to fix this? I hope it is not too difficult.

Thank you,

Victor.

Use the Mandrake Control Center, hardware, hardware, select your soundcard and click configure. Select the module (driver ) you want to use. Go to MCC, system, services to check if alsa is running (start/stop it to make sure). Do all this with every sound application closed, including kmix (or another) in the systray.

Use the Mandrake Control Center, hardware, hardware, select your soundcard and click configure. Select the module (driver ) you want to use. Go to MCC, system, services to check if alsa is running (start/stop it to make sure). Do all this with every sound application closed, including kmix (or another) in the systray.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Trouble is that the emu10k1x driver is NOT in the list of modules I want to use - threre is only snd-emu10k1 and emu10k1. I had to configure "modprobe.conf" in the hope that it would enable emu10k1x at boot by giving it: "alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1x" I think this is only making it "look" like I have the driver but if it is not in the actual list of modules, then I guess I don't have it. What should I do? How can I start/stop ALSA?

Thank you,

Victor.

OK, I found where to start/stop services. I looked under "sound" and while trying to start it I got:

"alsactl: save_state: 1199: No soundcards found...

Can't open /root/tmp/asound.state_tmp: No such file or direcotry.

Setting mixer settings alsactl: load_state: 1272: No soundcards found..

[FAILED]"

There is something weird going on here. Any ideas?

Victor.

Hi,

Thank you for replying. Here is the relevant output for lspci -v

02:02.0 Multimedia audio controller:

Creative Labs [sB Live! Value] EMU10k1X

Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 1003

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17

I/O ports at df20

Capabilities: <available only to root>

02:02.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs [sB Live! Value] Input device controller

Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 1003

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64

I/O ports at df08

Capabilities: <available only to root>

I am using Dell's sound card. They say their driver is EMU10K1X - total confusion!

Victor.

That card should work fine in Linux. What errors do you get in the MCC when you load the module? Don't use alsaconf but just the mandrake tools. Steps are: load the module, make sure alsa is running. That's it.

PS. Are you new to Linux? If you do not understand what I say just say so. :)

Hi,

The weird thing is that I am not getting any errors but I still have no sound. This is the printout of my MCC sound section:

Identification

Vendor: ?Creative Labs

Description: ?[sB Live! Value] EMU10k1X

Media class: ?MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

Connection

Bus: ?PCI

Bus PCI #: ?2

PCI device #: ?2

PCI function #: ?0

Vendor ID: ?4354

Device ID: ?6

Sub vendor ID: ?4354

Sub device ID: ?4099

Driver

Module: ?snd-emu10k1

Alternative drivers: ?audigy, emu10k1

So, while this looks fine, when I startup the computer in Verbose mode it says that sound card initialization FAILED. So, one thing says it works, the other says it doesn't. Any wonder I am so confused?

If you don't get any errors it probably means the PCM, master (etcetc) channels are muted. Open a console and type: alsamixer. Make sure no channel is muted (by pressing 'm').

Hi,

Ooops, I just re-installed Mandrake without Alsa. My theory was that Alsa wasn't working too well so I tried to do without it. In fact, if I had typed 'alsamixer' as you have suggested I would have gotten an error message as I did many times before. So now I have no Alsa and still no sound :-( But I am not getting the Sound Card initiallization error anymore :-) And when I stop and start sound card service I don't get an error saying Sound Card not found error either - it just says "Loading snd-emu10k1x" [OK]

But I am still not having any sound so things are getting pretty confusing at this point.

Victor.

If you're using KDE, you can also open up Kmix which is infinitely more user friendly than alsamixer. I found that with many drivers, including emu10k1, the default volume is 0 and PCM is muted by default, both bad. Open up a mixer, and will do, and just start checking boxes and turning things up untill you get sound.

My current sound uses AC'97, and I had to make some very specific changes in my mixer to get the sound on, but I'm pretty sure emu10k1 will work with everything up.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am now getting the message:

"kmix: ERROR: Alsa mixer cannot be found.

Please check that the soundcard is installed and the

soundcard driver is loaded."

I think this is because I disabled/uninstalled Alsa. Because I am new to Linux and because none of Alsa's commands produced any meaningful results, I removed it from my system. Should I get it back?

Victor.