mcc and sysconfig

fahd

How can we as mdk linux users edit sysconfig (/etc/sysconf) within mcc (Mandrake Control Center). Unfortunately, Mandrake linux mcc contains less system tools than its counterpart suse. Hopefully, mandrake Soft will make a goog stuff in mcc. Thanks.

Fahd

or deinstall all the wizards and install some 'open' open source software ....

This way with the exception of Suse (which is the worst distro I have tried for this) you have the same tools across distro's and even BSD, Solaris, AIX etc.

Meanwhile get rid of the KDE/Gnome control panel's in MDKK which are deliberately crippled to prevent bettr open tools competing with the crappy wizards and install the real KDE/Gnome config tools...

They are actually working together on this... (yep KDE and Gnome working together) to provide a common base of tools for all linux distro's (except MDK and Suse who are spending developer time actually removing this good work!)

Back when Texstar did Mandrake (before they pissed him off) he used to make the real KDE control panels...

you wouldn't beleive what MDK strip out... like Wifi setup and even user management and kernel config. I guess these are available in PClinuxOS?

Back when Texstar did Mandrake (before they pissed him off) he used to make the real KDE control panels...

you wouldn't beleive what MDK strip out...  like Wifi setup and even user management and kernel config.  I guess these are available in PClinuxOS?

Tex did some great work. I still have his repackaging of KDE 3.1.4 on one of my boxes. The "real" KDE control panel he used to add was the Mission Control panel from Ark Linux. What is Mandrake stripping? I've never noticed anything unfamiliar whenever I've built KDE from source, and my Debian box seems to have more or less the same KDE. The differences are mainly in menus and Gnome/KDE desktop coexistence. Let me know and I'll be sure to include these tools next time I do a KDE build. Last time I checked, KDE's useless WiFi tool was in the KDE control center, and KDE's kernel config was there too, but only supported kernel 2.4. KDE's password and user account thing is still there, but it doesn't let me do anything with groups like Userdrake does. I was pleasantly surprised to see Userdrake in Fedora. It's possible that some of this stuff isn't in the default install, but of course a moderator on mandrakeusers.org would know that better than I ;)

Edited by Dyslexic

It's possible that some of this stuff isn't in the default install, but of course a moderator on mandrakeusers.org would know that better than I ;)

Definately not I gave up with Mandrakeon 10.1...

Up to this point I kept a copy around for heling others (here and my GF)

and Im just here as mod to stop you name calling or breaking guidlines, not giving definitive advice on Mandrake 10.X

The "real" KDE control panel he used to add was the Mission Control panel from Ark Linux.

Nope I almost mentioned that seperately... it was great and konqueror free if you wanted to be.

I don't have the two to directly compare right now (indeed I have neither since Im at work on WinBlows) but progressively more and more has been taken out or crippled. Kuser should let you manage groups as well?

KWifi... not great but gets the job done and even though the scale only goes to 11Mbit is works with my 54Mbit stuff?

My two main installs are both Debian, unstable and Ubuntu... (with KDE added) and Im much happier using the native KDE/Gnome tools....its one of the biggest surprises of 2004 Gnome and KDE actually sitting down together ...

gowator: we don't 'strip anything out', AFAIK. We do *modularise* our packages, so if you don't have certain KDE packages installed, you obviously won't get certain control panel options.

As dyslexic said, the problem with the native tools is that they're not very good :). Of course, MCC isn't perfect either, but IMHO it's a lot *better* than either KDE or GNOME config tools currently, considered as a whole suite. I don't have much experience with the KDE tools, and for what the GNOME tools can *do* I like them more than MCC, but there's so much stuff they flat out can't do. There's no holy crusade to force people to use MCC over other tools, what would be the point of that? The DE specific tools are provided and fully supported like any other package on the system. And of course MCC is entirely free software.

If you can find a comprehensive control centre that works on MDK and does everything MCC does better, then feel free to recommend it as a replacement :). We'll take whatever works...

And finally, there's never been much conflict between the KDE and GNOME *developers*. They've been working together within freedesktop for years, it's nothing new in 2004. All the KDE / GNOME flamage comes from clueless *users*, not developers.

fahd: what exactly is it in /etc/sysconfig you want to edit? There's no such thing as a single configuration tool for everything in /etc/sysconfig. That wouldn't be sensible, as /etc/sysconfig contains the configuration for a lot of different things, and having them all in a single app wouldn't make sense.