running apache2 separately

mikaowx

Hi.

My problem is that I cant actually start apache2 listening only on port 80 or 443 on Mandrake 10.1 as it was on apache 1.3. There arent even separate apachectl commands or any other commands to do that.

Is there a solution to solve this in the configuration or is this the way apache2 has been precompiled?

Do I need to download and compile apache2 to suit this need of mine?

Thanks

I mean apache2 is compiled in a way that you cant start the normal http or the ssl service separately, both come alive when starting the service.

Some years back when I used apache 1.3 there were apachectl and apachectl-ssl or you could also start them from init.d as two different types of service.

I even saw there's a sample ssl.conf somewhere among the librarys, which used to be the way if one wanted to configure and run apache ssl.

Is there a way to this with the shipped version?

Yes, I would need just that! In this case though I am trying to get the ssl version running.

Do I have to comment the ssl module out avoiding it from loading to get rid of the ssl service if I wanted to have apache to run normally?

What should I do if I wanted to run the ssl service only? Cuz basically this is what I am about to do now.

Dont know how to do that or what to change in the configuration files?

Finally I have digged up some usefull info about how to stop the ssl version from starting up along with apache, -for those of you who havent got a clue it's in /usr/lshare/doc/apachexxx/ssl.conf where the pattern SSLEngine=on/off directive is meant to control whether to start the ssl version with apache.-

but in my case it's the other way around. I am about to stop the service listening on port 80.

Other infos are pointing out to this like; one should change the IFDefine directive in commonhttpd.conf where the ports apache listening on are determined.

It says you should modify this directive to have apache listen only on 443 not on the regular port 80.

Why isnt that working?

IMHO it's simply because both versions are using the same config file and if the ssl service started the regular service throws an error message saying "port 443 already in use". It's logical isnt it?

Would be pleased to hear about any solutions to this.