Easiest way to sync 2 PCs via internet-connection?

PeterPanic

Hi!

I read 1000s of pages now, but obviously I'm too dumb.

How do I synchronize two directories on two PCs (Linux-Linux; Linux-Windows; Windows-Windows - anything you like, I'd like Lin-Win best...) across the world? The PCs are both connected to the Internet via ADSL, have Routers and Firewalls, but can "surf" the internet in any way. I'm the admin of both (and the firewalls).

I could use FTP on both PCs, to sync via my domain, but then the users on the remote PC would have to publish every change and read all of my changes. Perhaps this could be done automatially. But of course, FTP perhaps isn't the best way. It would be nice if my PC (usually WIN, dual boot) could somehow MAKE the remote LIN server (mdk 10.0CE) send his files to me and get my files.

Both dial into DSL and so have IPs changing every some hours. So sometimes I can't find out the current IP of the remote LIN server.

So now - what is the easiest way?

Ideas:

* FTP via my domain (expensive traffic...)

* Some ICQ clone?

* SAMBA via DSL?

* FreeSWAN?

* Unison?

* RSH /SSH?

I couldn't find out how to make ANY of them really work...

Thanks.

Panic.

1st you have to know the IP

options :

top level domain name : mydot.com

sub domain name : yourname.but-not-your-dot.com

ddclient: tracks ip changes of the roouters and send email with changes

call someone at the other place

i've done/do all three

top level domain

register a domain name

http://www.renewalregistrar.com/ you can register a top level domian for just under 10$ per year

know your dns servers when ordering a dot com it makes it easier.

sub domain

http://dnsdyn.com/

there are a ton of these service providers that will give you a subdomain name for free

yourname.butmydot.com

they usually have cliient software that checks your ip all day and sends any changes to dns servers

ddclient : (comes in a mdk rpm)

software that monitors many cable/dsl routers for IP changes it then emails you the ip change or updates a dns service .

i use zoneedit.com to host my dns records for FREE up to 5 top level domains. you can't beat that

you might start out using a subdomain plan for free . i use ddclient to monitor my router for wan ip changes when it sees a change it updates the records at zoneedit.com so i can host top level domains and i do for next to nothing on a dynamic ip dsl connection . i've been doing it for around 5 or 6 years and i've used many different services and software . in fact i set up many of my clients with this same set up . i register a domain name for them for 10$ then set up a client (direct-update)at the business and it updates IP's to dns records at www.zoneedit.com

many routers support dynamic serives check yours out

there are other options i imagine but you will need to know the IP of the machine you want to connect to.

next you would want to establish a VPN connection to the remote machine , you can't do this without the IP or the dns hostname .

i use rsync to sync the files on windows machines to linux machines.

everyone can host their own dot com for peanuts

that ought to be enough to get you going

i was checking out some software p2p type called lean on me but i don't see it now .

next week we'll go over "how to host multiple top level domains off 1 dynamic IP " you'll need mirrors, magic and a llittle smoke

Edited by ddmcse