Tips&Tricks Installing Oracle 9.0.1 on Mandrake 8.2

aru

scoladon

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:41 am Post subject: Installing Oracle 9.0.1 on Mandrake 8.2

Procedure For Installing Oracle 9.0.1 On Mandrake 8.2

N.B. This is not a primer for running the oracle installer nor database creation assistant.

Kernel Version: 2.4.18-6mdk

I have found that the kernel parameters from the default install of Mandrake 8.2 are sufficient for installing and running Oracle and also the OEM console. Just to check, go to the /proc/sys/kernel directory and issue the following:

$ cat sem

The output should be:

250 32000 32 128

On my system, the output of "cat shmmax" is 33554432 and the output of "cat shmmni" is 4096.

This all works without modification but I am only running Oracle for my own use.

As root:

Create a dba group.

Create an oracle account with primary group set to dba.

Create directory /orasw/app/oracle/product/9.0.1

Create directories /u01, /u02 and /u03

chown oracle:dba for all created directories and sub-directories

As oracle:

Create a shell script, orasetup, in /home/oracle/bin as follows:

/***contents of orasetup***/

# Set up Oracle Environment Variables

# Ensure that /usr/local/bin is in your current path

case "$PATH" in

*/usr/local/bin*) ;;

*:) PATH=${PATH}/usr/local/bin: ;;

"") PATH=/usr/local/bin ;;

*) PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin ;;

esac

export PATH

# Set up the default Oracle instance.

ORACLE_SID=MDKP1

ORACLE_HOME=/orasw/app/oracle/product/9.0.1

export ORACLE_SID ORACLE_HOME

# Set up OFA variables

. orabase

# Set up the Oracle NLS environment

NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8

export NLS_LANG

ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data

export ORA_NLS33

# Set up LD_LIBRARY PATH

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/openwin/lib

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/td/lib:/usr/ucblib:/usr/local/lib

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

/***end contents of orasetup***/

Create a shell script, orabase, in /home/oracle/bin as follows:

/***contents of orabase***/

ORACLE_BASE=${ORACLE_HOME%/product*}

export ORACLE_BASE

DBA=$ORACLE_BASE/admin

export DBA

ORADBA=$DBA/$ORACLE_SID

export ORADBA

/***end contents of orabase***/

Modify oracle's .bash_profile to call orasetup. i.e. . orasetup. Note that /home/oracle/bin should be in your PATH.

Logout and login as oracle. Check that the environment variables have been set:

env | grep ORA

You should see values for: ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID, ORA_NLS33, ORACLE_BASE and ORADBA.

You are now ready to install the software. During the install, you will have to run some scripts as root. I do this by bringing up an XTERM session in another Desktop and su'ing to root.

Place the Oracle CD 1 in the cdrom drive and, from oracle's home directory run the following:

$ /mnt/cdrom/runInstaller

Answer the prompts and when it comes time to select the type of install, choose "Install Software Only". At this time do not create a database. The installer will go off and do its thing.

CAVEAT: During the install, you will get an error during the linking process for the oracle executable. When this happens, leave the error window up and, as oracle, go to $ORACLE_HOME/bin and edit the genclntsh file as follows:

Comment out the line:

LD_SELF_CONTAINED="-z defs"

Before:

LD_SELF_CONTAINED="-z defs"

After:

# LD_SELF_CONTAINED="-z defs"

Then execute the genclntsh script:

$ ./genclntsh

When this completes, go back to the installer error window and click "Retry". The link should now complete and the software installation should be successful.

Now it is time to create the database. In $ORACLE_HOME/bin, there is an executable called "dbca". This is the database creation assistant. Execute it and answer the prompts. You should place the control files in /u01/oradata/{SID}, /u02/oradata/{SID}, and /u03/oradata/{SID}. The tablespace files should be spread out in the same directories. Take the defaults for the files that go in "bdump", "udump", etc.

At the end of database creation, there should be an instance of Oracle running. Log in as the system account just to make sure everything is O.K.

$ sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.0 - Production on Mon Sep 2 14:23:20 2002

© Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name:system

Enter password:*******

Connected to:

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.0.1.0.0 - Production

With the Partitioning option

JServer Release 9.0.1.0.0 - Production

SQL>

If you don't see the above, recheck that you have done everything correctly and if need be, delete all the oracle directories and try again.

Maciek

Frequent user

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:04 pm Post subject:

I sincerely wish it was that easy... It took me several hours to install Oracle 9i Application Server (1.0.2.1.0) on Mandrake 8.2, of course using JDK 1.1.8 and old glibc. If anyone's interested, I can provide detailed information (as long as I still remember how I did).

scoladon

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:44 pm Post subject:

The Oracle 9i Application Server software is a different beast from the 9i database software. And from everything I have heard, the Application Server is a bit more difficult to install and get running. But if you are just installing the database, I believe my post is valid.

Steve

Maciek

Frequent user

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:56 pm Post subject:

Yes of course, your post is valid. Sorry for misunderstanding, I just said that installing iAS is not as easy as the dbase alone. Even if both use similar dbms (or do they???), the installation differs.

By the way, do you know if oracle still provides free cd packs for students (sent by mail)?

scoladon

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:32 pm Post subject:

The Application Server is separate from the database. I'm not sure which version of the RDBMS comes with 9iAS but in general, the AS can talk to different versions of the database meaning it should be able to work with 8.1.7, 9.0.1, 9.2.x etc.

The Oracle Technology Network provides a service called "Technology Tracks" where you can purchase a "CD" pack license for $200 which includes the database and development tools for various platforms. You can download whatever you want from that site also but the files are huge.

Steve

jcwilson

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:41 pm Post subject: How about Oracle 9.0.2 on MDK 9.0

This article was good but would it be too much to ask for a similiar dicument for Oracle 9.0.2 on MDK 9.0? Shocked I am new to installing Oracle in a Unix environment and can never get it right. Crying or Very sad I have tried three times already and when I think that I got it, I get errors like the following:

When using dbca, I get a java error "Invalid entry size (expecting 'some large number' but got 'some other large number')

When I tried to create a blank database from scratch, I get an "ORA -27123: Unable to Attach to Shared Memory Segment" error.

scoladon

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:16 pm Post subject: Oracle on

Mandrake 9

You've got me at a disadvantage. I don't have Mandrake 9 yet nor has Oracle shipped 9.2 to me yet. I believe you are referring to 9.2 and not 9.0.2. Anyway, Oracle is not certifying the database on the desktop distros. Only on the SuSE Server and the Red Hat Server. Possibly one other Linux distro. What this means is that if the libraries are different in Mandrake 9 vs. 8.2 there could be a very difficult problem to overcome getting Oracle installed. I'm sure Linux guru's would have no problem getting the right libraries in place but I don't have that skill set. However, when I get Mandrake 9 and Oracle 9.2 I'll give it a go, but by then you may have already gotten it running or given up entirely. Sorry.

Steve

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).

• 1 year later...
:help: I installed Oracle 9.2 on Mandrake 8.2 following your outline, and I was able to install it in one try [about 3 hours]. It appears to operate normally except that Enterprise manager console [standalone] does not come up completely on my system when I run it [$./oemapp console]. The system is a Pentium II 400Mhz with 392m of Ram any idea's?

Yes,

The 8.2 was the changeover from glibc2 to 6.

It actually worked much better than RH7.0 which was a three day process of patching to get Oracle8i installed (if I remember)

Starting from a better base is likely to yield better results and less patching of the Java stuff. In actual fact the INSTALLER and the Java stuff was much harder to get working than the actual database.

The database itself could be installed by hand quite easily (when you know Oracle) , just not through the installer.

I haven't tried 9i at home yet!!!