Apache and Linux File Permissions being stubborn

Guest devikta

Guest devikta

All right. This probably isn't the absolute correct forum to post this in, but I thought the problem I'm having extended past just security related issues.

I've recently installed Mandrake 10.1, and I'm pleased with it except for one thing: I can't get the file permissions to actually work as they should. A little example.

I have a user: devikta

I have a group: sysdev

I have devikta's groups setup as: devikta, sysdev

So ole' devikta is a member of the sysdev group. On my second partition I created a directory called "store." So, for store, I do:

chown devikta:sysdev store

The ls -al reads as such for this directory:

drwxrwxr-X     3 devikta sysdev 4096 Mar 19 16:00 store/

All is wonderful with the world. Devikta controls the file without a problem. However, I created a new user 'oinstall' (for an oracle installation) and added him to the sysdev group. I would think that this would give 'oinstall' rwx permissions on/in the directory. Alas, no. When I su as 'oinstall' and try to create a directory, I get a nice, fat "Access Denied" error message.

Am I just daft? Am I missing something completely?

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

All right.  This probably isn't the absolute correct forum to post this in, but I thought the problem I'm having extended past just security related issues.

Security is the right forum for this: Everything Linux is for news items and general Linux discussions.

Welcome to the board. :)

Guest devikta

Thanks. Actually, I logout of the system and log back in with the oinstall user. I created another user, oracle, and the same occurs. I'm really confused. The only way I can give access to the users is to completely open the security.

chmod 777

Guest devikta

I'm starting to think that it's the Mandrake installation. I loaded SuSe on a laptop and went through the same steps with creating users and groups and I didn't have any problems. :screwy:

All right.  This probably isn't the absolute correct forum to post this in, but I thought the problem I'm having extended past just security related issues.

I've recently installed Mandrake 10.1, and I'm pleased with it except for one thing: I can't get the file permissions to actually work as they should.  A little example.

I have a user: devikta

I have a group: sysdev

I have devikta's groups setup as: devikta, sysdev

So ole' devikta is a member of the sysdev group.  On my second partition I created a directory called "store."  So, for store, I do:

chown devikta:sysdev store

The ls -al reads as such for this directory:

drwxrwxr-X     3 devikta sysdev 4096 Mar 19 16:00 store/

All is wonderful with the world.  Devikta controls the file without a problem.  However, I created a new user 'oinstall' (for an oracle installation) and added him to the sysdev group.  I would think that this would give 'oinstall' rwx permissions on/in the directory. Alas, no.  When I su as 'oinstall' and try to create a directory, I get a nice, fat "Access Denied" error message.

Am I just daft? Am I missing something completely?

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

try to check if oinstall's primary group is sysdev, also try to #chmod g+s -R /in the directory