Getting SiS7012/7018 Sound working in ML9/8.2

ral

Sound setup will detect the right chipset (7012/7018) but sound will still not work.

Browse to /etc/modules.conf and you will see the line:

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-intel-8x0

xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxxx

The xxxx is an entry detailing out the rest of the sound configuration. Comment out both these lines and add a new entry:

# alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-intel-8x0

# xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxxx

alias sound i810audio

Sound will now work.

Commenting out basically makes the system not read the lines. It is safer to comment out than delete in case you want to revert to your prior configuration.

• 4 months later...
Guest Phat Penguin

I was given an old P4 1.7 celeron PC the other day ..... the only thing really salvagable was the chip, 512mb RAM and case .... so dropped in a cheap ECS all-onboard mainboard and fired it up .... no sound !! SiS7012 you guessed it ... well dropped in Harddrake (9.1) and did a detect on the spec's mentioned here and all is well and noisy !!!

If I ran sndconfig I too was getting the "No support yet" info .... wrong !!! .... have the noise to prove it.

For those running 9.1 just go to Harddrake and select the "snd-card-intel-8x0" option for the 7012 sound card and let the computer do the rest....

Thanks guys, this site rocks.