Nvidia splash screen?

durvish

Just installed the latest nvidia driver (7167) everything seems to be working --- doom3 finally runs (albeit with no sound) glxgears is showing 1980 FPS, but when logging into X I am not getting the nvidia splash screen. I should be seeing that right? There were no errors or complaints when installing the driver or am I just going crazy?

just went into nvidia-settings and I didn't see anything for the splash screen

It "seems" like everything is running ok and it doesn't bother me that I don't have the splach screen I just want to make sure the nvidia driver is up and running like it should be without any errors.

Ok Doom3 is known for this problem it's happens with Via chipset and onboard audio.. know i don't know what motherboard you have but it sounds like doom3 doesn't like your Sound (chipset)... I found a work around i will post it.. i found it at a doom3 forum no author.

WARNING: ioctl SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED failed to get the requested frequency 44100, got 44101

I don't have a sound server, and use pure OSS (no alsa emulation). Apparently it is caused by low-quality sound chipset, or bad drivers, that are not able to provide the requested frequency (due to limitations or round-off errors), and return the closest frequency they can handle. It should not be really an error, but Doom3 decides that for 1Hz of difference, it won't play sound :/

I propose a... radical fix: patch the doom3 binary so that it doesn't compare the returned value with the expected one, and act as if it was OK.

I don't assume any problem this could cause to your system !!

You will need a hexadecimal editor for that; I used "hexcurse" (text-mode).

- You should know where you installed doom3, and go to this directory.

- DO A BACKUP of the original "doom.x86" binary in a safe place elsewhere.

- You may need to be root to modify the file. In this case you should better do a copy of the file as a normal user, edit it as described with this user, and overwrite it back as root when you are done.Less chance to do errors as root...

- open the file with "hexcurse doom.x86"

- Go to the byte to modify by typing "Ctrl-G" and entering the address ; for doom3, it is address 001BED1B ; for doom3-demo, it is 001BE3FB.

- Modifiy the "74" under the cursor to "EB".

- Save (Ctrl-S) and quit (Ctrl-Q)

The md5sum of the modified binary is now:

a4b9c37eef2ad5142b9c88f0447bb52a for the complete version

3cb21789bd262ef6f4b451cce8559239 for the demo version.

If not, you made an error; restore the backup file and start again.

Now doom3 should ignore any difference in the frequency settings. It worked OK for me because I have only a 1Hz difference; if you have more, I don't know how it will behave...

For those interested/who want to be sure I didn't just install a virus in their binary :) here is the explanation:

I used "objdump -d doom.x86 > doom_disassembled.txt" to get the disassembled (machine instructions) version of the program. the SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED ioctl has for value 0xc0045002. There is only 1 occurence of this value in the code. Reading the disassembled output around leads to:

8206ce5: bf 02 50 04 c0 _______ mov $0xc0045002,%edi <-- SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED ioctl code

[... some more parameter passing ...]

8206d05: e8 1a 42 e4 ff _______ call 0x804af24 <-- call the ioctl function

8206d0a: 40 ________________ inc %eax

8206d0b: 0f 84 7e 02 00 00 ____ je 0x8206f8f <-- test if return value is -1 (error)

8206d11: 8b 4e 10 _______________ mov 0x10(%esi),%ecx

8206d14: 3b 8c 24 a4 00 00 00 _____ cmp 0xa4(%esp),%ecx <-- compare a passed parameter to a returned value (the 44100 Hz)

8206d1b: 74 24 __________________ je 0x8206d41 <-- if equal, continue code somewhere

[... else fall through the warning code and sound disabling ...]

from what i have found this Patch / editing really does work .....

But do this at your own risk!!!!!

good luck

-ShadowChaser

For the nvidia splash screen "problem", most people wouldn't think it a problem! Who needs the splash screen. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to this problem:

1) My personal experience after installing 1.0-6629 on my 3 GHz machine was that I too did not see the splash screen at all. I wondered about it, but thought maybe nVidia had changed the default so as to not show it any more. I didn't worry about it. Then I started noticing the briefest of flashes as X was booting up - one day, in a freak timing event, the screen flash lasted just long enough for me to realize it was the nVidia splash. So, it had been there all along, it is just that things were moving SO fast that it wasn't hanging around long enough for me to see it.

2) As an alternate, you may have it disabled in your XF86Config (/etc/X11/XF86Config). Look for an option called "NoLogo" in the "Screen" or "Monitor" section of the file. You are looking for a line that says:

Option "NoLogo" "1"

If you see this, it disables the splash screen. If you REALLY want to see the splash screen, just delete this line and restart X. You will then *hopefully* see if, if the above speed related issue doesn't cause you to not see anyway!

mac57 ---- while playing around with something else today and rebooting X a thousand times I got exactly what you described ---- a very brief flash of the splash screen! woohoo

I really don't care if I have it or not -- I just wanted t make sure the driver was acting right!

as for the Doom3 sound I'll try that hack later on tonight!

thanks to all! :banana::banana::banana: