SSH Woes

Having trouble with ssh. I have a server (running warty) running and I can ssh from my laptop to that just fine. I can log into the server with vnc and ssh from there to the laptop (running hoary) just fine. When I try to ssh from either the laptop or the server to the kids machine I get "no route to host". Or another errror like this.... Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive). I get rid of one error and then I get another. All the pc's are on a local lan here in my home.

Thanks ahead of time.

[moved from Networking by spinynorman]

No there isn't a firewall. Some of the times it will work and some of the times not. Lately its just been not working. Confusing the heck out of me. lol

By the way I would like to thank you for the reponse. I posted over at the Ubuntu board last night and still haven't recieved a response. Its a nice distro, but man not sure about their forum. :(

Well I played around with the kids computer some. I uninstalled anything to do with ssh. Then reinstalled. Came to the laptop here and was able to ssh into it. I thought cool. So I logged out and then vnc'ed into the server (still in the same home and lan) and tried to ssh into the kids pc and I get "no route to host" deal again. I'm thinking, wth. So I closed out of vnc and tried again from here and no go with the same error. I started to think that the router wasn't releasing the port so I tried ssh'ing from here to the server and it was find. Then from the server to here and it was fine. So I tried again to the kids machine and still "no route to host" Ugh....

So I thought maybe it might be the wireless card in the kids pc, but the server has one too and that works fine. Only thing that I could possibly come up with is they are the same brand cards (netgear) but one (server) takes the madwifi drivers and the other (kids machine) takes the ndiswrapper driver.

I'm at a lost.

I "think" you have to port forward the router too so it understands which machine to connect to for the ssh connection. Look at your router support page and see if it has instructions on doing that.

Disclaimer: I am certainly no ssh expert but have been wrestling with it too and came across that very issue today.

Well on a LAN or at least here on my home network I don't or never didn need port 22 open. Now from outside here and ssh'ing in from like school, yes I do. I have that open to the server though.

I think I'v narrowed down my problem to the wireless nic card. I have to investigate some more, but pretty sure thats the problem. Probably with the nidswrapper driver. I'm not having a problem on here with Hoary and the madwifi drivers.