New computer - old and new hd's [solved]

Kieth

I just ordered a new computer. I now have Windows 98 and Mandrake 10.0 on 2 seperate hds.. My new computer will have 1 hd with Windows XP, but I would like to put my 2 hds from my old computer into the new one. Is it possible? If so, how can I do it with minimal amount of problems?

Edited by Kieth

I had a similar problem, but instead of moving the HDD, I was installing a new motherboard. Here's the post summarising my experience with that:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=168760

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got my new computer in, and up and running. I appreciate the advice. I had a system with 2 hard drives, one with Mandrake and one with W98. I now have Mandrake and Wxp. I bought the computer with only 1 hard drive, with XP installed. I then took the Mandrake hard drive from my old computer and put it in my new one. I kept the configurations the same (slave - master). I inserted my Mandrake disk 1, and typed rescue, then I had it install lilo again. Somewhere along the way, I must have done something wrong, as it didn't work. After re-booting, it only detected XP. I had to re-install, not formating anything though, to get it to work. It only took a couple of minutes, so it was no big deal. Anyway, everything is up and running, with the exception of Xine. For some reason it didn't like the move. I'll get it working before too long, though. Thanks again for the advice, as I would never have thought to do what was adviced.

Kieth