MDK on "Old World Mac"

cjc

Here you will find my install experience on an old world mac...seems no one here except for cannonfodder knows what a Mac is...

http://www.mandrakeclub.com/modules.php?op...ic=3043&forum=8

I'd love to have a new world mac to use Yaboot...but I don't have $4000 to upgrade my Mac harware to use MDK. And if I keep a dual boot system...I have to upgrade my Mac software as well...like money grows on trees...

Pissed off, yeah especially when DENO doesn't want to drop Mac support but MDK only provides at best vague install instructions for the "old world people" and a really messed up install at that (see the PPC thread about being counted...one of the programers as some words with Deno) ...shoot are we Mac people considered lepers?

Mods...put this where it belongs as I am Trolling MAC support for MDK.

I have 2 dual boot WIN98/MDK 8.2 and a dedicated MDK 8.2 (PC based) boxes. That run fine...so why the Mac issue, cause I love my Macs too and I thought running MDK on at least 1 gives me a broader horizon...

I have a friend who just bought a new Powerbook (and turned me green with envy). I'm trying to convince him to use Linux on it. I'm going to show him your articles, of course, everything will be different now with the new way that Mac do things.

Old World Macs are any before the iMac and Colored desktops...i.e. if it's beige, it's old world.

The new World macs are supposed to be just fine using Yaboot (MDK install looks for it and knows if you have an old or new mac).

I have MDK 8.2 installed on the 17 gig (sda) with OS 9.0 on the 2gig (sdb). One uses BootX to boot a special kernel to install...I figured that part out. I have installed the MDK 3 times (for practice).

Once installed, one needs to reconfigure BootX to access the MDK install I have followed 2 sets of instructions (BootX readme and Mandrake). Neither let me start my installed MDK system. (kernel panic or can't mount fs)

As for YDL, again the problem is BootX. (and even less instructions)

Oh and I take back that comment about CF being the only one to know what a Mac is...appears there are 3 of you that know :wink:

• 6 months later...
Guest KyooMac

What's up guys? I have an old world machine running Yellow Dog Linux 3.0, it works on my 6500/250 very slowly. I was using MDK8.2 prior to that and it was working fine, minus modem support. External 56K USRobotics. So I thought I'd try YDL3.0, my modem works. Both are a pain to install, but with a few hacks it can be done. BootX v1.2.3 seems to work better than the versions that come on the discs. I have never been able to use the MDK script installer. And have always used text install. Well know I want to try MDK 9.1PPC and I can't get it to install. Does anyone have any suggestions.