Dual boot with FC2

Trio3b

Read Statics' dual boot post in "tips n tricks" for MDK 10.0 with Wxp. I prepared the Wxp hd prior with a NTFS for xp, FAT32 part. for sharing files, and some space left over for MDK and it worked perfectly.

Now would like to dual boot but this time on a HD that already has FC2 and its own default partitions.Will LILO figure this one out or will I have to manually create a new partition for MDK 10.0 and will it play nice with GRUB?

Any heads up before I start would be apreciated.

Thanks

you mean fc2 is already installed on that disk, so it assumes that the kernel read that disk as hda, and now, what would you like to do? set that disk as the primary disk or make it as the secondary? of that disk that also contain XP and mandrake? well, when i've tried to dualboot an existing disk with other linux OS with Mandrake, though it initiated the boot process, meaning, the HD was detected, but since the orig install set the disk as hda, but when installed as dualboot, it became an hdb since I made it as secondary master, so it just coz a kernel panic. i think there,s a way how to do it properly, but i have not tried it.. just fyi

Edited by aioshin

umm ... i hope i did understand this well:

you have one hd with winxp and mandrake running and want to add a new hd that already runs with fedora? in this case, it is quite an easy task. assuming you have hda (winxp+mdk) set as master and hdb as secondary master or slave and your mbr with grub or lilo set on hda, then you can simply add the values for fedora to your lilo.conf or grub.conf (depending on which one you use). in case you prefer grub as a bootloader, i can assure you that is works 100% ok with mandrake and is included in the cds and the web repositories (easyurpmi).

just follow the already mentioned tips&tricks section on dualbooting. mount your fedora root partition under mdk and make correct entries for your initrd.img and kernel in lilo.conf (→directing to the entries you have in e.g. /mnt/fedora/boot after mounting the root partition) and run in a terminal as root "lilo -v". if something goes wrong, the terminal will tell you, where your entries are somehow wrong.

personally, i think that dualbooting is easier with grub, because you do not need to mount secondary linux-systems on your primary distro in order to make it work.

if you have further questions, just ask.

good luck. :)

Sorry I wasn't clear. the Wxp+mdk hd is out of the picture on a separate PC.

I already have FC2 (by itself) on a PC but did not set aside any partitions for MDK 10.0.

1. Will LILO recognize FC2?

2. Will Grub recognize MDK 10.0 and should I just skip the LILO install, or what's the best way to do this?

Any heads up appreciated

Thanks