dosemu

I found mandrake rpms for it and installed on 9.0, didn't work on 8.2 without a newer kernel.

I used freedos on it.

Seems to work ok, will see if i can get some old dos games running on it.

I know i have an old copy of privateer somewhere and redneck rampage.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone help me with getting dosemu to work of always floundered not knowing where to start with it. Ive never managed to get it working. Ive tried reading the howto guide for it but still no luck. Just a Simple guide to setting it up would be extremely useful.

I would love to get Privateer working under Linux,... Especially if I could get Privateer 2 working,... I 'd love that. I also have Wing Commander 3 which would be a great game to play again, and some others,...

http://www.freedos.org/

Wait for the FreeDOS team to improve the project. I think when 1.0 releases we will have more or less the same level of functionality of DOS 6.22 environment. Right now it is 0.8x and does not support FAT32 yet (check update, perhaps there maybe progress on this). Also there's a DOS-CD ISO to download so you can get a trial of this before going thru any installation.

FreeDOS has to be run seperately from Linux right?!?!? That's not at all what I want. I want an emulator that can run DOS programs from within Linux, complete with Svga and soundcard support.

Dosemu is more along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Dosemu sipmly makes a virtual environment for a version of dos to run in under linux.

You need a version of dos to use dos apps.

Freedos is recommended as you don't have to pay for it/find it.

You could use a m$ version of dos.

The reason to use Dosemu is that you don't have to dualboot to use a dos app.