Mandy 10.2 Beta 3 - Installation errors

Guest SteveW

Guest SteveW

Have a problem installing the latest beta (3) of Mandrake 10.2 Downloaded the first .iso image, burned a CD, and rebooted. Boot screen came up fine; I followed the instructions for starting a normal installation. A few thousand lines of code flashed by, showing me what hardware and services the installer was loading; then a curses screen with a progress bar came up, informing me that "Mandrake 10.2 is being loaded into the system memory". The bar went about 2/3 of the way across, then hung for several minutes before a dialog box came up, reporting that a fatal error had occured. After acknowledging this, the installer program stopped.

I tried it again twice, once in text mode to see if it was something to do with the onboard graphics chipset (Fedora 3 had graphics problems on this computer). No dice; same errors. I went into the log and kernel messages on one of the re-tries, and noted down the last lines of code in each case.

Log: opening /proc/splash failed

Kernel Messages: Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 32939-.

The computer is an older IBM NetVista machine, with 256 MB RAM, Pentium III, and onboard graphics and sound. There are two hard-drives in it; the first one has 30 GB, the second 40 GB.

Can anyone help me resolve this problem? Also, how does one post a bug report at Mandrake? Thanks in advance!

Log: opening /proc/splash failed

Kernel Messages: Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 32939-.

The computer is an older IBM NetVista machine, with 256 MB RAM, Pentium III, and onboard graphics and sound. There are two hard-drives in it; the first one has 30 GB, the second 40 GB.

Can anyone help me resolve this problem? Also, how does one post a bug report at Mandrake? Thanks in advance!

actually, i am a bit surprised. first of all, the version you are trying to install is not stable, not recommended for beginners but developers (dunno, if you are a developer). then, the hdc thing makes me think that it has some problems with your cd-rom drive (as hda and hdb are your hard disks). how old is the cd-rom drive? have you made sure that your cds have passed the md5sum check before burning? it sounds to me like some bad burn or an old cd-drive with a badly calibrated laser (due to long term use), rather to a real mandrake-bug. :unsure:

Guest SteveW
actually, i am a bit surprised. first of all, the version you are trying to install is not stable, not recommended for beginners but developers (dunno, if you are a developer). then, the hdc thing makes me think that it has some problems with your cd-rom drive (as hda and hdb are your hard disks). how old is the cd-rom drive? have you made sure that your cds have passed the md5sum check before burning? it sounds to me like some bad burn or an old cd-drive with a badly calibrated laser (due to long term use), rather to a real mandrake-bug. :unsure:

The CD-ROM drive is older; I think it came with the machine when it was manufactured in 2002 (we bought it second-hand). I md5summed the .iso download, and it checked out all OK. ??? Maybe the CD-ROM drive ??? I don't know; it's been OK so far, although the whole machine has been a little unstable recently on Winblows 2K Pro.

My father wants the beta because it's very up-to-date, and thinks that it shouldn't be too buggy. He wants to use it on the older machine for secondary office and development work. I don't know; I thought that the betas of major Linux OSs like Mandrake tended to be pretty buggy. How buggy has the beta been? Also, is the RC1 any better...or should we just be looking at getting a stable version of an OS and upgrading? :unsure:

buggy is as buggy does, there's quite a lot of problems with the betas and RC1 but nothing that can't be worked around once you know about it. Yes, it certainly sounds like a problem with the CD drive to me too. Do you have another one you could swap in to test?

Guest SteveW

Update: we do have a spare CD-ROM drive we could swap in, and I think I'll suggest that option to my father. However, we've decided to try RC1, so I'll see how that goes and then get back to you.

Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate it! :D

Oh, and if the machine has an SB Audigy or Live! you might want to skip RC1, or at least do a network install and make sure to install kernel-multimedia during the package selection stage. It's got a bit of a brown paper bag bug wereby the kernel panics during ALSA initialisation on those cards.